New Zotero user and can't get it to work on Word 2010

I was able to make the Firefox plugin to work very well.

I installed it on Word and the toolbar icons are present. But, this is all I got when I click on any of the icon: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document".

And this is the report id#: 783589445
  • I am having the exact same problem. I've successfully used Zotero with Word 2007 and have an active bibliography that I am trying to update and I get the same error message.
  • edited August 8, 2010
    Can you try installing the WinWord Integration 3.0 Branch XPI and generate a new Report ID? It's not thoroughly tested and may not work at all, but if it does, it might give a slightly more useful error message. Thanks.
  • I was able to add a citation in Zotero today without getting an error message. I'm not sure what solved the problem, but I'll keep you posted if this changes in the future!
  • Hi Simon,

I had this problem
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/13817/zotero-integration-error-in-office-2010-pro-plus/#Item_2

and I tried WinWord Integration 3.0 Branch XPI but still I had the same problem.
    My report ID is 1454087697
    Plz note that I had no problem with Office 2007 Pro
    Are there any suggestions? Thx

Regards,

mscmilan
  • edited August 10, 2010
    Can you back up your Zotero data and try the Zotero 2.0 Branch XPI? If that doesn't work, generate another Report ID and then go back Zotero 2.0.3.
  • I still had that problem :(. New Report ID: 1666481642
  • Another report ID: 1679767575 using Zotero 2.0.3 and WinWord Integration 3.0a4.r6311
  • If you disable User Account Control and restart, do you have the same issue? (You should turn it back on once you test.)
  • I have a same problem that word 2010 can not startup zotero Add-in tab.

I have to try theses solution and got the results.

1. Reinstall WinWord integration : Firefox Tool--> add-on --> Zotero WinWord Integration--> option --> reinstall Word Component -->OK
    Result : this solution add-on re-copy file Zotero.dot to C:\Users\Myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP folder but it not work on word--> option--> add-in show zotero.dot in "Disabled Application add-ins" with compatibility detail : "add-in was disabled by the user after a data execution prevention failure"

2. on word--> option--> add-in --> manage --> select template --> go and checked on Zotero.dot -->OK
    Result : Not thing happen

3. coppy zotero.dot to folder "C:\Users\Myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates" and add zotor.dat to check list "word--> option--> add-in --> manage --> select template --> go" on template tab click--> add and select zotero.dat file in folder "C:\Users\Myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates" folder and now it have two zotero.dot on list --> checked zotero.dot that locate in template folder than click OK

Result : Zotero Add-in tab appear in ribbon and function normally but i have to re-checked on template check list every time when restart world 2010

I hope a new Zotero WinWord Integration version to solve this problem as soon

Regards,
    Cool

Window 7
    Word 2010
    Firefox 3.6.8
    Zotero 2.0.3
    Zotero WinWord Integration 3.0a4
  • I'm using Windows XP. Is that necessary to turn User account control off? I'm using a computer in our university campus therefore I have no rights to change that kind of things :(. At home I don't have Office 2010 so I couldn't try if it works
  • edited August 12, 2010
    mscmilan, Windows XP doesn't have UAC, so that rules out one potential cause of the problem. I'm still trying to figure out other possibilities.

GuyBCool, your problem is completely different from what's described here, and is again something that we can't reproduce on our test machines, which makes it difficult to troubleshoot. Please start a new thread, or find an existing one that relates to your issue, such as this one.
  • edited September 21, 2010
    I am having the same problem as original poster, report id# 1188181639

Edit: after installing WinWord 3.0 trunk plugin (and restarting) I am now able to use Zotero on a new documents.
  • Hi
    I have a problem with zotero when i want to "add Citation". I receive this error "Zotero experienced an error updating your document"
    my Report ID : 1115512792

Thx
  • Seyed -- start a new thread please ("Start a New Discussion" top left). In that thread, please also specify your Word version, opreating system, and Zotero version and check whether this happens in a fresh document, too, or just in a specific one.
  • I'm a first-time Zotero user having trouble with the Word plugin. I'm running Word 2010/Windows 8.1. Word is complaining about macros. I only installed Word, not the rest of Office--don't know if that's part of the problem (I know it's missing Spell Check)--maybe it's missing pieces of the environment that the plugin expects. In Word, I checked "Enable all Macros" and "Trust Access to the VBA project object model"(File/Options/Trust Center/Trust Center Settings) and restarted Word. No change.

As soon as I start Word, it shows me the usual blank document, but with a dialog box with the text "This error usually occurs because of macro security settings. If you know that the macro comes from a source that you trust, you can change your macro security settings to allow you to enable the macro.
    If the file opens in Protected View, click Enable Editing, and then click Enable Content. Editing functions are restored and the active content, including macros, will run. This file is now trusted; security prompts will no longer appear unless the file is opened on another computer."

If I click Cancel, I get a second dialog box: "Word cannot open this document template (C:\Users\frmcdo\AppData\...Zotero.dotm" When I click OK, I get the first dialog box all over again.

If I click OK on the second presentation of this first dialog box, all the dialog boxes go away, and "Add-Ins" appears on the ribbon. If I click on Add-Ins/Insert Citation icon, I get the same dialog box once again.

If I open an existing Word document, I get the same dialog box and the Open hangs until I click Cancel (clicking OK repeats the dialog box). Then I see the document, but Add-Ins does not appear in the ribbon. Or, if I click OK over and over, eventually, the document appears with Add-Ins in the ribbon. But if I click on Add-Ins/Insert Citation icon, I get the same dialog box once again.
  • edited July 4, 2016
    Tech Info: Samsung ATIV Book 9, 12.2", IntelM-5Y31 at0.90 GHz 1.10GHz; 8 GHz RAM, 64-bit, Windows 8.1

Resolution: Ended up having to uninstall Microsoft Office 2010 (had originally installed only Word), reinstalled using Customize option, selecting only Word, Office Shared Features (includes Visual Basic), and Office Tools (.NET, etc.) (don't know if Tools is necessary ). Now everything's working. Happy.