Journal of Marketing Style

Hi all,

I would need your help with creating a style matching the requirements of the "Journal of Marketing".
I already found an endnote citation style which I imported succesfully (ftp://support.isiresearchsoft.com/pub/pc/styles/endnote4/J Marketing.ens). It is already quite good, but not 100% correct. That's why I would need your help in modifying it.

Need for modification:
1) series of citations should be separated by semicolons: (Donnelly 1961; Kinsey 1960; Wensley 1981). What the current style does if you select multiple soources is: (Donnelly 1961); (Kinsey 1960); (Wensley 1981).

2) If a particular page, section, or equation is cited, it should be placed within the parentheses: "(Kinsey 1960, p. 112)." It currently does not display any page number at all when you enter a page number in the corresponding field.

3) The references for citations from magazines are not correct. It currently does not display the name of the magazine in italics.

If you need more details about the citation guidelines:
http://www.marketingpower.com/AboutAMA/Pages/AMA Publications/AMA Journals/Journal of Marketing/JMAccepted.aspx
http://www.marketingpower.com/AboutAMA/Documents/AMA_Reference_Style.pdf
ftp://support.isiresearchsoft.com/pub/pc/styles/endnote4/J Marketing.ens

Thanks a lot in advance!

Chris
  • It's not possible to modify and imported endnote styles.
    Find a similar existing Zotero style and list the differences.
  • That's no good news. But I found out that the "American Society of Civil Engineers" style is quite close.

Need for modification in the citation:
    1) Some citations contain besides the authors last name and the year also the first name or first initial. It should always be: (Lastname yyyy) or (Lastname1 and Lastname yyyy) or (Lastname1, Lastname2 and Lastname3 yyyy) or (Lastname1 et al. yyyy)

Need for modification in the bibliography:
    1) First names need to be written out, followed by middel initial: Donnelly, James H.

2) All items should be seperated by a comma and end with a period: Wensley, Robin (1981), "Strategic Marketing: Betas, Boxes, or Basics," Journal
    of Marketing, 45 (Summer), 173–82.

3) In the case of book excerpts, the chapter title should be connected with an "in" with the book titel: Bettman, James R. and Mita Sujan (1987), "Research in Consumer Information
    Processing," in Review of Marketing, Michael J. Houston, ed. Chicago: American
    Marketing Association, 197–235.

4) If an author appears more than once, substitute three em dashes for each author's name:
    Simonson, Itamar (1989), “Choice Based on Reasons: The Case of Attraction
    and Compromise Effects,” Journal of Consumer Research, 16 (September), 158–
    ———, Allen M. Weiss, and Shantanu Dutta (1999), “Marketing in Technology-
    Intensive Markets: Toward a Conceptual Framework,” Journal of Marketing, 63
    (Special Issue), 78–91.

5) References to doctoral dissertations, reports, working papers etc. should be in the same style as papers:
    Coughlin, Maureen (1980), "Fear of Success: Reaction to Advertising Stimuli and
    Intention to Purchase," doctoral dissertation, Department of Marketing, City
    University of New York.

Thank you very much!!

Chris
  • Is anyone able to help me?
  • sorry, not forgotten - I have this thread bookmarked, but it may take some time.
  • OK, give this a try:
    go here:
    http://gist.github.com/520231
    download the style using the "Raw" link on the top right.
    Install by dragging the downloaded file "journal-of-marketing.csl" into any open Firefox window.
    You will get prompted if you want to install the style - click OK.
    Ignore the grey bar saying "no style information..." on top of the page.
    If you do not get prompted to install, make sure windows hasn't changed or added a file ending.
    Make sure Windows is set to show file extensions, and check that the file ends with .csl and not with .xml

Some notes:
    1) http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/given_name_disambiguation

4) Currently only works to substitute exact same author, _not_ one of multiple authors. This is on the radar of developers and will be included in a future version of Zotero, possibly 2.1
  • edited January 5, 2011
    Hi Adam,
    has there been any progress on the Journal of Marketing citation style? I'm writing my Master Thesis and being able to include multiple authors such as (x and y 2000; x and y 2004; x and y 2010) is vital. The problem occurs if there are papers by the same authors in the same year.

(Pang and Lee 2008a)
    (Pang and Lee 2008b)

(Pang and Lee 2008bundefinedb)

Pang, Bo, and Lee, Lillian (2008b), “Opinion Mining and Sentiment Analysis,” Found. Trends Inf. Retr., 2(1-2), 1-135.
    ��� (2008b), “Using very simple statistics for review search: An exploration,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING).

Thanks a lot. oh and btw...the rss does not work with outlook :(
  • I can have a look, but the "undefined" seems to indicate something else being wrong - I'm not getting that.
  • I found out most of the problems. I installed the beta version and that's when my problems started, so I reversed everything. So all good...though I have 3 other things.

1) Problem with multiple citations:
    I get this (B. Pang and L. Lee 2004, p. 271; Bo Pang and Lillian Lee 2008, p. 7). There is a problem with articles from the same authors.
    The problem does not occur within the zotero reference test pane. There things look like this: (Pang and Lee 2004; Pang and Lee 2008).

If you could help me work things out to have this in the in-text citation would be awesome:
    (Pang and Lee 2004, p. 271; 2008, p. 7) or (Pang and Lee 2004, p. 271; Pang and Lee 2008, p. 7) ... doesn't really matter which one.
    I'm having this problem with all citation styles btw, so it should be something related to my system. The authors are all written the same and I already tried to take out the disambiguate lines.

2) According to the Journal of Marketing within the bibliography only the first author has the surname in the front:

Author’s last name, first full name and initial (if available), second author’s first name and initial, second author’s last name, and third author’s first name and initial, third author’s last name

How can I do this?

A nice documentation of the citation method can be found here: http://kbsubguides.library1.ucalgary.ca/?View=file&CategoryID=850&EntryID=101

3) You said that the substitute only works with the exact authors. Has there been any progress on this? When is version 2.1 coming out? Any idea? :)

Thanks so much Adam! Appreciate your help!
  • 1.) It's practically certain that your authors aren't spelled the same way - else you wouldn't get initials for one and full first names for the others. Double-check. Maybe the citation exists twice in your database.

2.) Open the file with a text editor, find this:
    <macro name="author">
    <names variable="author">
    <name name-as-sort-order="all" and="text" sort-separator=", "
    delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
    and change name-as-sort-order="all" to "name-as-sort-order="first"

3.) Well, version 2.1 is in beta and increasingly stable. I have no idea, though, when the RC will come out. Styles can be converted automatically in any case. I'm not actually sure, however, if this has made it into the 2.1 release. No time to check right now.
  • For the author substitution issue, see http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/13564/subsequentauthorsubstitute-for-multiple-authorcitations/

"If the substitution is generally meant to catch only the first name in the list, it could be set up to work that way. But at the moment, we match the whole list, like the current processor."

There has been no progress on this topic beyond the linked thread.
  • edited January 6, 2011
    Adam, of course you were right. I had different versions within different folders and didn't see it until I checked 'My Library'.

There seems to be just one more issue. Instead of adding only the last names of the authors Pang and Lee their first names are always added. In addition, when I want to add a page reference to Pang&Lee 2004 and a different one to Pang&Lee 2005 the latter is omitted. ... see below.

(Dasgupta and Ng 2009; Kennedy and Inkpen 2006; Nicholls and Song 2010; Bo Pang and Lillian Lee 2004, 2005, p. 12; Bo Pang, Lillian Lee, and Vaithyanathan 2002; Sharifi and Cohen 2008)

Any idea on this? Thanks once again. Also thx to Rintze for the update.
    Cheers
  • The first names are still due to some disambiguation quirk - they have an extra space, someone else with that last name exists - something along those lines.

This
    In addition, when I want to add a page reference to Pang&Lee 2004 and a different one to Pang&Lee 2005 the latter is omitted. ... see below.
    is a known issue. It's fixed in 2.1
  • Thanks Adam, I'll double check. It works perfectly in the test pane but not in MS Word, so it's a little weird but I'll figure it out. I might just have to refresh in Word. Can't wait for 2.1 then :) Cheers
  • edited January 7, 2011
    problem seems solved
  • added the style to the repository