Cannot get DOI to display for APA Style 6 Bibliography

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me; I looked all over but couldn't find the answer to this. When I export my bibliography in APA Style 6 (the new version), only the DOI displayed for one of my citations. Is it possible to have the DOIs displayed for all of my references?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight.
  • are the DOIs in your database in Zotero? In that case they should all be displayed.

If that's not the case, copy and paste a sample RIS of an item that doesn't work here.
    (For that - select the item in Zotero --> right-click --> Export selected item(s) ---> RIS
    then open the file it creates (default is Exported items.ris ) in any text editor (e.g. notepad, TextEdit) and copy and paste the content here).
  • edited July 13, 2010
    Hi! Thanks for your reply.

You are absolutely right, the DOI only showed up in my database in Zotero for one of my citations. Is there a way to make it so they do show up for the remainder of my citations?
  • use a better database to get your data from - where are these from?
    Most good sources (i.e. journal webpages, JSTOR, sciencedirect, EBSCO (if it works) give you DOIs - but e.g. google scholar usually won't - nothing to do with Zotero, the data just isn't there.

CrossRef has a DOI lookup services that you may find helpful to fill in missing ones.
  • Most of the references are from PsycInfo. And it's just so bizarre because the DOI is listed on the page from which I take the reference, but it's just not displaying in my Zotero database.

I'm assuming I will have to retrieve them manually, or relocate all the citations from another source, then?

The one that did work I happened to get from PubMed.

Regardless, thanks again for your help!
  • I'm having the same problem as DreamWise... but here's an interesting wrinkle. I'm searching PsycInfo via CSA, and when I use the yellow folder to grab the citations, the DOI gets eliminated. But when I use the "Add Item By Identifier" tool, and add by the DOI (which is clearly listed on the abstract in PsycInfo), it does grab that information. Obviously this is a slow way to get a lot of citations, and I'm concerned about how to teach this strategy to undergrad (and grad) psychology students.

Thanks for any help!

Susan
  • edited September 28, 2011
    seedwards and DreamWise

Please download the file here:
    https://gist.github.com/raw/1248630/909ad579144a69f1eccda2c80c2a3455ce1a01c9/Cambridge%20Scientific%20Abstracts.js

and place it in the Translator folder of your Zotero data folder http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data replacing the old file of the same name. Zotero should now get the DOI from CSA/PsycInfo.
    Please report back if this works, I can't test this terribly well.

If it works this can be pushed to Zotero clients, you wouldn't need to direct your students to download the translator file.
  • YES!!! It works -- this is fantastic, thank you so much! I was already a huge fan of Zotero, and now I'm extending that same enthusiasm to AdamSmith and the forum. I can preach about Zotero in all our workshops without reservation!
  • PS -- what's the schedule for pushing it out???
  • I hope within 48hs - ajlyon, the main translator volunteer will take a quick look and upload it, then it should make it to the clients with 24hs.
  • Thanks so much!
  • Done. It should update within 24 hours automatically, or you can choose "Update Translators" from the Zotero preferences to get the new version pretty much immediately.
  • Using EBSCO's PsychINFO with Zotero, we noticed that DOIs are not being included in the bibliographies we created. Other citation management tools don't have a similar problem, nor do other EBSCO databases.

I wonder if the DOI fields are not populated in Zotero's record because EBSCO is adding a prefix to the DOI to create a link, like
    http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11199-012-0177-8. When asked, EBSCO said they are "following the guidelines given by CrossRef. You can have a look at the following link for more information:
    http://www.crossref.org/02publishers/doi_display_guidelines.html."
  • EBSCOhost was not exporting DOIs correctly in their metadata (Zotero uses their RIS export, which specifies that DOIs are listed as DO, but EBSCOhost exports them as DI). Zotero now compensates for that, but you might want to report it to EBSCOhost, since other reference managers would probably fail to import the DOI correctly.

Update your translators via Preferences -> General -> Update Now and try importing again.

BTW, the metadata imports properly (with DOI) both from CrossRef and from SpringerLink page you link to above.