synch progress wheel does not stop

My synch progress wheel is in perpetual motion. For the past month, it has progressively taken longer and longer to complete synch and now doesn't stop at all. I am afraid to log out of Zotero/Firefox for fear of losing the latest updates/additions to my research project that perhaps are not backed up to server. I tried to reset history, but that didn't seem to help. I also checked the amount of space remaining on my outside data storage server (mydrive) and there is still plenty that is free. Any ideas as to why this is happening and what to do about it?
  • http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/11730/#Item_2

But is it spinning right now? I see no reason why it would be for you. If so, what does it say when you hover over the sync icon?
  • The progress wheel has not stopped for last 15 hours and is still in motion. There is no progress bar showing. When I hover over the round sync icon it says "sync with zotero server. Getting updated data from sync server." BTW - I do have latest Zotero and Firefox updates at all times.
  • Restart Firefox. You're not queued.
  • I have the same problem, since I updated a couple of hours ago. I don't think your servers are working correctly. Also getting ssl certificate errors and arrow just keeps on spinning.
  • walker9: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/11730/#Item_2

You have a queued upload. If you have other issues, start a new thread.
  • My problem was not resolved by restarting Firefox. The good news is that new data DID synch, so were not lost. The bad news is that the constantly revolving progress wheel impedes / arrests other needed Zotero functions, such as being able to open files found through the search function. I am at a total standstill. Could this be a problem mydrive.ch, which is my offsite webdav server? If so, which other vendor should I try?
  • BTW - if I hover over the sync wheel it displays this message: "Upload accepted. Waiting for sync server", which is a different message from 2 days ago, but with same net effect (can't use all Zotero functions... and for an unacceptably long time).
  • I've been getting the same message: "Upload accepted. Waiting for sync server" since Monday morning. The sync wheel has been turning ever since then, but nothing seems to be happening. Is this supposed to take this long- should I just be more patient?
  • Same issue here. My syncing is stalled. The wheel keep turning, and I get the same messages documented above. I've tried all sorts of things to get it going, including restarting FireFox and doing a sync reset. This means that I do not have access on my desktop to citations I've recently added to Zotero via my laptop.
  • I'm still not having any luck. Sync wheel keeps turning no matter how many times I restart Firefox, and this periodically interferes with multiple other Zotero functions, so am afraid to do new work using Zotero until it's resolved. Does anyone have bright ideas?
  • You can always simply turn off syncing if it is getting in the way of your work. Go to the Sync panel of the Zotero preferences and disable syncing. You'll still get to take advantage of the other numerous improvements in Zotero 2.0.
  • The sync queue is completely empty right now (and most nights U.S. time). What does it say when you hover over the sync icon? Provide a Debug ID for the sync attempt.
  • (Also, the UI issues during syncing have been fixed in the latest dev builds, and they'll be fixed in the next release.)
  • Currently (10PM EDT Sunday) sync works OK. This is 1st time in nearly a week... during which ALL my sync attempts were 8-11PM EDT. I'm not sure whether the sync problem is "fixed" or just in hibernation...
  • Mine has stopped syncing at home- but none of the references I've added during the week at work are in my library at home, or in the library in my account. There is also nothing in the group library. However, at work all week the sync wheel wouldn't stop. I'm using the updated versions of Firefox and Zotero in both locations, but I'm not seeing the same folders or references...what have I missed?
  • Mimi: I don't actually see any recent uploads from you. Restart Firefox and try syncing again. What happens?

Catherine: Your syncs from work have likely been failing due to data errors that need to be corrected (too-long tags, etc.), but the syncs probably haven't been finishing before you've closed Firefox, meaning you wouldn't know what needed to be fixed before resyncing. A few hours ago we added a new step to upload processing that will cause most errors to be returned much sooner—within seconds in most cases. So the next time you sync from work, check for a sync error and fix any errors it finds. Assuming there's not some other issue, the next sync should then go through, even if you then close Firefox.
  • edited March 22, 2010
    Hi

I get a message 'upload accepted-waiting for sync server' when I hover over the green sync arrow. Do I need to stay logged into Zotero to make sure everything gets transferred to my computer at work? How long will this take?

Am I in the queue? How can I speed up the process?

I have about 76 references on my home computer and only 34 of these have been transferred for me to access from my work computer.

Thanks
  • Dan -
    You didn't see me trying to sync for several days, as I was afraid that I would lose new data to the perpetual motion sync wheel on my desktop. Today I tried to sync my laptop, so as to bring over the latest version of things from my desktop. On my laptop the sync wheel is now in perpetual motion. Hovering over it produces message: "upload accepted. Waiting for sync server." Interestingly, though, the latest notes that I entered into Zotero from my desktop did seem to get copies over to my laptop just now even though the sync wheel keeps turning.
  • Dan - just provided the Debug ID per your directions. This comes from my laptop (which today has perpetual sync wheel, as described in my last post).
  • Dan- Thank you so much! The issues is fixed, and everything is syncing just fine now.
  • Or rather, the issues are fixed.
  • Dan -
    The fix doesn't seem robust / complete. I am back to perpetual sync.
  • Mimi: I see no indication that you're queued right now. 1) What does it say when you hover over the sync icon? 2) Provide a Debug ID for a few minutes of letting it spin. 3) Have you tried restarting Firefox?
  • upload accepted, awaiting sync server. Will go get debug ID next
  • did restart Firefox. Perpetual motion resumed....
  • can you see debug ID now? I enabled it...
  • After uploading the output, Zotero will provide a Debug ID that you can post to the forums.
  • But the server shows new items of yours as of 20 minutes ago, so I'm not sure exactly what you're reporting.
  • I don't understand this at all. I am definitely syncing - new items (notes, attachments) that I add are sticking, even through closing down Firefox and re-opening it. And the sync wheel indicates that it is trying to sync. I don't understand enough about the technology to provide any further bright ideas... so am hoping you have them.
  • Mimi: I don't know what "sticking" means, but if your items are showing up on zotero.org, then syncing is working for you.
This discussion has been closed.