How to suppress author in subsequent citations in text?

Hi, I use Chicago 17th author-date style for my PhD thesis. Recently, my mentor asked me to suppress author name in text in subsequent citations, and even year if it is the same source.

For instance, to change this:
The argument that all dogs are black (Brown 1990, 152) is a contentious one (Brown 1992, 166) and outdated (Brown 1992, 172).

Into this:
The argument that all dogs are black (Brown 1990, 152) is a contentious one (1992, 166) and outdated (172).

I found this topic, but it's for MLA:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/47739/in-text-subsequent-citations-dont-suppress-author

I need the same thing, just for Chicago. Or, if the year cannot be supressed, at least the author's last name? Also, it doesn't matter if it is not in the same paragraph.
  • The Chicago author-date style you are using does NOT have the subsequent functionality built in since that is very untypical for author-date styles.
    So you'd need to add that and then basically repeat what is shown in that other thread.
  • I'd use omit author (in the Word add-on) and use (Year, date) throughout in those cases, especially when you have two different works by the same author cited nearby -- it's a bit confusing what the final citation refers to in the example above.
  • Yeah, I'm aware it's untypical. My mentor is a very hard man (he also requested that I remove all the doi's from papers "because nobody's gonna 'click' on printed text"... meh, nevermind).

@damnation
    How do I add that functionality?

@adamsmith
    I think I did try that. I mean, I checked the "Omit Author" in the Style Editor, but it didn't change anything.

Currently, when I enter citation, I click on it and check "Omit Author" (next to prefix, suffix, etc.), but it's becoming tedious, because I sometimes have to rearrange sentences, and then again edit the citations. I had hopped for some automatic solution?
  • I wouldn't automate this -- e.g. if you cite the same work two paragraphs apart (but with no citation in between), you'd definitely want the author name in there again, so manually doing omit author for every citation is the best bet.
  • As I said in the original post, it doesn't matter if it's two or more paragraphs apart. But, even if that is the case, wouldn't it be easier to add the author once in two paragraphs than to remove it five or more times per page? :)
  • So, will anyone actually help me how to do it?
  • It's the exact same code as for MLA, and the lines to enter it are after 642
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/chicago-author-date.csl#L642
    and after 660
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/chicago-author-date.csl#L660

this will just give you page numbers; you can play with adding <date variable="issued" form="numeric" date-parts="year"/> into the first bit of code if you want year and page number

Note that this will only work for the same work; automatically omiting an author that is repeated when citing a different work is not possible.
  • Hey, thank you a lot. It kinda worked. I decided to put date in also, because of what you said, but it produces it without ", ", i.e. (Kant 1970, 31) becomes (197031). I get it that it has something to do with the "delimiter", but I have no idea how to make it work.
  • Something like
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <date variable="issued" form="numeric" date-parts="year"/>
    <text variable="locator"/>
    </group>

should work.
  • Yes, it works! Thank you so much for your trouble! <3