Annotations to pdf not saved on iPad

I need a way to save a pdf file with underlining, highlights, and text annotations made on an ipad. After I annotate the pdf on the ipad, if I tap on the download icon on the upper right, then select Export Annotated PDF, then tap the Zotero icon, then a copy of the pdf file is saved in Zotero. However that pdf copy does not have the annotations. How can I save the pdf with all the annotations?

As a related point: The pdf copy is a new copy. Is there a way to simply overwrite the existing pdf with the new annotated pdf?
  • edited 12 days ago
    Is there a way to simply overwrite the existing pdf with the new annotated pdf?
    No. Zotero stores annotations in the database by design.

But I'm not totally clear what you mean here. Are you talking about annotations you made in the Zotero iOS app originally? Because the iOS app doesn't yet support underline or text annotations — those can only be created in the Zotero 7 beta.

In any case, exporting a highlighted PDF from Zotero via "Export Annotated PDF" works for me — but normally you would do that to Files or via email or AirDrop, not save it back to Zotero. Try with another PDF, and if it's still not working for you, provide some screenshots that exactly show what you're doing and what's happening.
  • I am not using an iphone (or iOS); I am using an iPad, which means I am using iPadOS.

Using the iPad, I tried "Export annotated PDF" with several other files and they all worked. My other devices are not Apple products so I don't use Files or AirDrop much. I can now save annotated PDFs to google drive and to Zotero. I cannot explain why it didn't work before.

On the question of where one would "normally" save. I work across multiple devices in multiple locations. I annotate the same file on multiple devices using various products, including Adobe Acrobat and other pdf annotation software. I sync the files across devices using Zotero because Zotero makes it easy to keep track of 1000s of files and to find them again (in addition to its obvious uses for creating references). I need a way to move the annotations with the file regardless of what software is used to annotate it. All the other software I use allows me to save over (overwrite) the old file with the newly annotated file. I can do this in Zotero using "Export annotated PDF", but there is an extra step: I have to delete the un-annotated file and move the annotated file into its place. An option to overwrite an existing file would be valuable.
  • I am not using an iphone (or iOS); I am using an iPad, which means I am using iPadOS.
    When we say "iOS" we mean your iPhone or iPad. You don't have to specify that it's iPadOS.
    I need a way to move the annotations with the file regardless of what software is used to annotate it.
    And you can with Zotero, by exporting it. But Zotero doesn't and won't save annotations back to the original file, for the reasons explained on the linked page.