Not uploading files on ipad

I've been using Zotero on my ipad and keeping it on my PC as well for another group library. A few days ago I realized that I could no longer add files to my zotero on ipad. The issue is that I don't care at all if it syncs with the pc or not. I just want to be able to read the documents on ipad via zotero. Anyway, to save time I just bought the 2GB storage, hoping this issue would go away. It did not. I cannot upload again on my ipad. I fear that zotero considers the pc as the main account. Does that happen? How can I fix this? That 2G is already full btw, the moment I bought it, it synched the hell out of my libraries until it was full. But this issue is not about synching...so it won't be settled with paying more.
  • I'm not really sure what you mean here. If you're at your storage quota, you won't be able to upload additional files, and you'll see continuous warnings about that, but that shouldn't otherwise affect your local usage of the app. It still should save everything locally.
  • So after a few hours of looking into this, I realized that the problem is most probably with Zotero's ios app. Until about 5 days ago, I had no problems adding files to my Zotero library on my ipad*. It was just telling me that it wouldn't sync with my other Zotero library on the windows PC. But suddenly I started getting "an unknown error occurred" message after trying to open a pdf (which is on my google docs and/or my ipad storage) on my Zotero for ipad. I have no problems at all opening these files on my PC-Zotero. So could this be related to a recent Zotero-ios update? Or is there anything I can do to fix this?

*All that time I was already over that sync limit, so I could add pdfs to my ipad zotero library and read them, they just wouldn't be synced. So the issue isn't that it isn't syncing.

Thank you!
  • edited 12 days ago
    But suddenly I started getting "an unknown error occurred" message after trying to open a pdf (which is on my google docs and/or my ipad storage) on my Zotero for ipad. I have no problems at all opening these files on my PC-Zotero.
    There may be some confusion here. The iOS app has never supported linked files (as would be stored within Google Drive). It supports stored files only. You shouldn't see "an unknown error occurred", and we'd want to see a Debug ID for getting that error, but opening linked files in Google Drive never would have worked. (I'm not sure if by "ipad storage" you just mean saved within iCloud Drive or just saved to the Zotero iOS app.)

Regardless, you seem to be talking about three separate things: adding files to your library on your iPad, "uploading" them (which means syncing them to Zotero servers), and opening them from within the app. So which exactly are you having trouble with? Can you provide exact Steps to Reproduce the problem you're experiencing?
  • edited 11 days ago
    That is strange. But yes let me write down exactly what I have been doing:
    1. Open my google drive / ipad files app (local)
    2. Tap on the pdf and choose "open in" / "send a copy" and choose Zotero
    3. It appears in my Zotero library on ipad

I added a screenshot for the "unknown error" message which comes up after step 2.
    After responding you, I tried opening other files and realized that for some, it still works. Meaning, it still opens them in Zotero with these steps. And I tried to find the pattern, trying to see which ones it allows me to open etc. It is not the size, not the source either. So I couldn't find the pattern but at this point it is like gambling.

I've been following these steps I mentioned above for more than 5 months now, and I was not syncing anything either. I was only opening them in Zotero-ios, reading them there. As I said earlier, it synced with my Z-on-PC till the storage was full, then told me it would no longer sync. I was fine with that because I could still read on my Z-ipad.

Please let me know if I left anything unclear here. Thank you very much.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u12829982/tiqlkxbtbd06shis31u3.jpg
  • edited 10 days ago
    OK, so you're trying to save files to the Zotero app from the Google Drive and Files apps, and you're sometimes getting "An unknown error occurred." in the save dialog. (I see that Google Drive calls that "Open in", but that's a very confusing, un-iOS-like term. It'll be clearer to refer to that as "saving to" or "sharing to" Zotero for any future reports. "Opening" is what you do to the file once it's in Zotero.)

That's working for me from both apps, so we will indeed need the Debug ID I asked for above.
  • Hello again,

Was this ID helpful? or did I send it incorrectly? Should I have chosen "submit to zotero forums" instead of giving the ID here like this?

The problem continues and now it gives the unknown error message (for every pdf I try to share it to zotero-ios) unfortunately.
  • Yes, we're investigating — thanks.

(In the future, it's much better to just post the Debug ID here rather than a screenshot. I think until recently we had a button to copy it to the clipboard, which was replaced with the Submit to Zotero Forums button, but we'll restore a clipboard option for use when you already have an existing thread.)
  • @ece_cz: This should be fixed in 1.0.35, available now.
  • Hello again,

Unfortunately, even after updating the app and then restarting the ipad, I am still encountering the same issue.

I have a new debug ID, in case it helps:
    iOS Debug Log: D1855375629
  • edited 3 days ago
    @ece_cz we released two updates, one almost after the other, based on the debug log you have only updated to 1.0.34. Can you please update to 1.0.35 and try again?
  • Oh yes now it worked! Yay!
    Thank you very much.