Suggestions for Enhancing the Advanced Search

Hi,

I am writing to share some feedback and suggestions aimed at improving the user experience with the advanced search functionality in Zotero. My suggestions are based on my personal usage and observations, and I think they might enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of searching within the Zotero.

1. Default Search Scope to a Specific Collection: The current advanced search functionality defaults to "Search in Library" at the top of the search dialog. As someone who primarily uses a single library and often needs to search within specific collections, it would be immensely helpful if there were an option to set the default search scope to a particular collection. This change would streamline the search process, allowing users to conduct searches directly within their most frequently used collections without the need to adjust the scope each time.

2. Enhanced Boolean Search Capabilities: At present, the advanced search allows for the selection of "Match all" or "Match any" conditions. However, this setup does not support more complex search queries, such as those requiring a combination of AND, OR, and NOT operators (e.g., A AND (B OR C)). To address this, I propose adding options to each search condition that would allow users to specify how it should be combined with others (i.e., AND, OR, NOT). This enhancement would greatly improve the flexibility and precision of search queries.

3. Advanced Search within Collection Interfaces: The advanced search feature is currently available through a dialog box, separate from the main interface. This design contrasts with other reference management tools like EndNote, which allow for advanced searches directly within each collection's interface. Integrating advanced search options directly into the collection interfaces—beyond just simple searches—would offer a more seamless and efficient user experience.

Thank you for considering my suggestions. I am looking forward to seeing how Zotero continues to evolve and meet the needs of its users.
  • edited March 6, 2024
    (2) is planned, and I think we can find ways to address the underlying use cases for (1) and (3). Note that (2) can be accomplished now (a bit tediously) by creating saved searches and nesting them with the Collection condition.