Cap author count?

Hi,

I recently made the mistake of importing this paper via DOI import:

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/1748-0221/3/08/S08004

The import took a couple of minutes, and now every time Zotero tries to display this paper, it takes 160 seconds of uninterruptible CPU time to get there. Since deleting a single author in the GUI seems to take about the same amount of time, it's not really feasible to manually fix this. I think it would be most useful if Zotero somehow considered this fact and refrained from importing thousands of authors (citing them doesn't work anyway, since BibTeX only allows strings of 5000 character :)).

I'd be grateful for ideas how to fix this in a reasonable amount of time. I'm reasonably proficient with JavaScript if that helps.
  • I don't think Zotero should throw out valid data, but it doesn't need to try to display thousands of authors by default, either. There's a ticket for this.

For an immediate workaround, though, can you just delete the item and recreate it manually with fewer authors?
  • Thanks... Ah yes, those pesky author lists in high-energy physics :)

Yes, manually recreating is an option. I was hoping there was something more elegant, like a hack to clear the author list in the database.
  • There's no way in the GUI—only if you want to issue SQL commands on the database. (But whether that qualifies as elegant depends quite a bit on your perspective.)