Zotero latest version - so slow & sluggish

Hi all - I've been using Zotero for a couple of years and have always been happy up until recently. Ever since using Zotero on a new MacBook Air, the programme has been terribly slow. Just switching between papers takes almost a minute - scrolling through an averaged sized paper leads to the Mac spinning wheel appearing and takes a good 30-40 sec as well before finally moving on to another part of the text/page.

I feel like this has happened ever since I started to use Item Notes more frequently... do others have noticed this happening too? I'm also nearing my storage limit but not sure if that has anything to do with it. Would appreciate any kind of advice!
  • If you're running any third-party plugins, disable them all, restart Zotero, and see if you can reproduce the problem with just a single PDF.

Usually, slow performance in the PDF reader would be due to a PDF with huge scanned images. If there's an example PDF this is happening for, provide a link or upload it somewhere and email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread. But in such a case, reprocessing the PDF in another tool (e.g., Acrobat) to compress the images can help.

Zotero 7, coming later this year, should be much faster, but what you describe isn't normal behavior for standard PDFs without scanned images.

(Nothing to do with storage.)
  • Thank you for your reply. It happens with any average academic paper, no images - size appr. 610KB. I do have some books in Zotero though, maybe that could cause it? I'll send an email!
  • Can you provide a Report ID?