why can't I just move an item to another collection instead of it always copying?

I don't want the same article duplicated in multiple collections. I just want to move it to another collection entirely. To do this currently, it seems I have to manually remove it from the original collection after I've moved it, which is time-consuming and messy.
Why can't I have the option to right-click and determine if I want it copied or moved, or have the option to create a preference in settings?
  • @epyers: Since you seem to be misunderstanding the other thread, let's make this explicit. From the documentation:
    To move items between collections, hold down Cmd (Mac) or Shift (Windows/Linux) when dragging items to the new collection. Remember that the “My Library” view always shows all items in your library, so you cannot “move” items out of this view. To see only items that do not belong to any collection in your library, open the Unfiled Items special collection.
  • My fault. I should have pointed to the documentation rather than to the thread. Apologies
  • Telling people they're misunderstanding you or confused as I've seen you do repeatedly here doesn't make it so.
    OK, deleting the increasingly absurd messages in the other thread and redirecting back here.

Sorry, @epyers, but if you're going to post to these forums, you should accept when we tell you that you're misunderstanding something. poettli already apologized for linking you to a confusing thread instead of the relevant documentation.
    In fact at least 3 different users have indicated in this thread a requirement to be able to move items across collections and subcollections without having it copy in all instances.
    No, that's incorrect, and the fact that you're still saying it shows that you're still failing to understand the thread. That's fine — it was confusing — but please stop insisting that you understand it.

There were exactly two non-developer users in that thread, not "at least 3". The person who opened the thread was trying to use the wrong modifier key to move items between collections and was quickly corrected by adamsmith. kirk86 wanted the modifier key to remove items from other collections when dragging an item from the library root, and we explained why that doesn't make conceptual sense. That's it. Read it as many times as you need to, but that's what was discussed.

So one more time, if you're having trouble moving items between collections using the modifier key, then explain the exact Steps to Reproduce what you're seeing and we'll try to help you, but anything else is just wasting your time and ours.