Incomplete pdf linking

Hello,

I just installed Zotero on my new laptop PC (running Windows 11 and using Chrome). I used the Zotero website sync option to populate the new Zotero i downloaded with my old, saved papers. However, although the bibliographic data is there, most of the pdfs aren't linked to it - when I click on the citation, the dialog box says:

"The attached file could not be found at the following path:
C:\Users\XXXXXXX\Zotero\storage\LIC3FQCN\Di Lorenzo - 2003 - Seasonal dynamics of the surface circulation in th.pdf
It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero, or, if the file was added on another computer, it may not yet have been synced to zotero.org."

The pdf file is indeed located in the specified path above and even still has all its prior highlighting and formatting. I can locate and link it manually to the bibliography info using the "locate" button in the above dialog box and opening the pdf. But I can't do that by hand for all of the thousands of pdfs I have! I tried increasing (paid for) additional storage on Zotero and tried re-syncing with the green circular arrow button, but this does not help.

The old computer is completely dead, but the files were restored on my new computer from Google cloud. How can I get Zotero to link to the pdfs from the bibliography citations, given that the program clearly knows the correct file extension but is not accessing it?

Best,
Kate
  • No, if you're getting that message, the file isn't at that path. The filename might be different (if you renamed it outside of Zotero), or you might be looking in a different folder. Note that using Locate on the file will copy it to that path, so you might be misinterpreting the results based on that.

Since you were at your file storage quota before, none of these files are online, which is why Zotero can't just download them from the online library.

A full copy of the data directory to another computer will always produce the exact same library and accessible stored files, so you would've had to have done something different in restoring this.
  • edited February 14, 2023
    Well, and re-reading what you wrote again, I'm not sure what you're even referring to regarding the Google cloud. You say you set this up on a new computer and used Zotero sync, and since you were at your storage quota before, all but 300 MB of the files not being accessible is exactly the behavior that would result. Upgrading storage now doesn't make a difference, since the additional files were only on the other computer and weren't uploaded. (But upgrading will help make sure this doesn't happen in the future if you move to another computer.)

If you have a separate backup of your Zotero data directory on Google Drive, you can restore from that, but that wouldn't involve Zotero syncing.