Cannot sync to iPad

Debug ID: D1047843700
"Annotation position is too long for attachment" and "'linkMode' property not provided".

I can't get my iPad files to sync and I'm not sure what's going wrong--everything works on my computer and the web browser version.
  • Switching to beta version has fixed first part ("Annotation position is too long for attachment") but not the "'linkMode' property not provided".
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for the second error?
  • Sure! D740934924
  • edited February 9, 2023
    [ERROR] Zotero(+0000025): SubmitUpdateSyncAction: failures - [Zotero.FailedUpdateResponse(key: Optional("8JHKRARF"), code: 400, message: "\'linkMode\' property not provided")]
    If you paste 8JHKRARF into the search bar in the library root in the iOS app, does an item show up? It looks like you have an attachment that's in a broken state. Anything notable about that item (or, if it's a parent item, its child attachment)?
  • No nothing shows up when I search that in iOS or my computer (where I import all the documents) or my general file system on my computer. I'm not sure which file it corresponds to
  • I've also searched through the /Users/[user]/Zotero/storage folder and there is no item under that string either.
  • It's an attachment on your iPad that you added on your iPad. It wouldn't exist on your desktop.

It looks like it's in your trash, which is why you're not seeing it. In an earlier version, the app allowed an attachment to be edited and converted to a regular item, when that shouldn't haven't been possible and broke the item. We've since fixed that. If you have a standalone attachment, you can use Create Parent Item in the item context menu to add a parent item.

If you empty your trash or delete this item from the trash, this should go away.
  • I haven't downloaded any files for Zotero on my iPad, and I don't think there's any trash system on my iPad either. Where would I look for that?
  • edited February 10, 2023
    You did, back in November — this item has never been synced with the online library, so it can only have been added in the iOS app. You may have saved it to Zotero from the browser or added it manually from within Zotero.

The trash is at the bottom of the collections pane, the same as in the desktop app.
  • Oh okay I see trash now! Didn't see a file with that name but emptied everything.

Now I don't get that (or any) error message but my files still won't fully sync--is that an issue of the Beta version?

I'm fully synced between mac app and browser, but only have 208 of 230 items in my iPad app.

New Debug ID: D124974121
  • See Changes Not Syncing and see the exact thing it asks for. Your Debug ID doesn't show you as having made any changes elsewhere since the last sync.
  • Unclear what the issue was, but I deleted the beta version and redownloaded the original app for a fresh sync and everything worked. Thank you for your help!