569135085 Error: _libraryStorageVersion cannot decrease

Hi folks!

Some background for my account specifically: at a previous job, I was in charge of a Zotero research library which was linked to my personal account (a Bad Choice, because after I left, I think someone there deactivated/deleted my account when they tried to transfer all the group libraries over to someone else). I got that all squared away and am trying to reset/re-sync what's in my Zotero app on my computer with my online account. I "downgraded" my storage from 6GB to 2GB (because I no longer have thousands of work-related citations), but now I get this "_libraryStorageVersion cannot decrease" error message in the app.

I used Replace Online Library from the Sync → Reset pane of the Zotero preferences to get my online account to match my app, but it doesn't seem to be syncing properly, I think because of this error message. Any idea what's happening here or anything I can do?
  • Can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a sync attempt that produces this error?
  • Yes! Debug ID: D581017052
  • This should be easy to fix, but I'm actually rather confused how your library got into this state. In most ways, the online library appears to have never had data in it, but there's one part that doesn't make sense.

Is it possible this account was last used…many years ago, with Zotero 4 or earlier?

If you go to Tools → Developer → Run JavaScript and run this code, what's the result?

Zotero.Libraries.userLibrary.libraryVersion + ' ' + Zotero.Libraries.userLibrary.storageVersion
  • Highly possible! I used it the most heavily in 2016-2019, and then had a few years where I didn't keep up with it so much, and then obviously didn't notice when it got deleted. I don't know what version that makes it, but definitely a "many" years ago, now that somehow it's 2023.

The JS code result is: 1730 1730 (let me know if you want a screenshot!)
  • edited February 4, 2023
    OK, try this from the Run JavaScript window, which should reset things and allow you to sync:

[removed]

Just to be safe, I'd recommend first closing Zotero and copying zotero.sqlite in your Zotero data directory to your desktop as a temporary backup.
  • edited February 4, 2023
    Unfortunately, that still gives me an "Error: _libraryStorageVersion cannot decrease" :(

(If there's a good way to nuke everything and start over, I'm totally happy to try that!)
  • OK, try syncing now.
  • It worked!! Thank you so much for figuring this out with me!