Lost PDF Attachments from Group Library when transferring to main Library

Hi all,

I used to have a couple of group libraries with items containing annotated pdf attachments. I then decided to get rid of them and transferred everything to my main Library and then deleted the groups. While the entries did transfer, I just realized that the pdf attachments did not. Do you know if there is a way to retrieve them since those group libraries were stored in the zotero cloud?
Any help is much appreciated.
  • Do you mean that the attachment items themselves are missing or that the attached files can't be found?
  • the attachments themselves are missing.
  • If that's the case, you may have had "child snapshots and imported files" disabled for copying in the Groups section of the General pane of the Zotero preferences.

This could also happen if you previously dragged these items from your personal library without attachments, and this was dragging them back. In that case, it wouldn't actually re-drag the items with the newly added child attachments and would instead just keep the child-less versions that already existed in the personal library. (An upcoming update will make it easier to merge items across libraries when this is the case.)

Either way, I'm afraid if you deleted the groups and the attachments don't exist, there's no way to retrieve them at this point.