Files not found after Mendeley import

Dear Zotero help team,

I am trying to import my Mendeley library to zotero. I have followed the guidelines described in this post. This is the bug report id: 599369987

The process seemed successful as no error messages were reported. However, not all PDF files were imported.

I have checked the files are available on the Mendeley server. Several different scenarios occur for references where the PDFs are missing.

1. For reference: Evolution of Vertebrate Immunity
I see:
"The attached file could not be found at the following path:

/Users/hannah/Zotero/storage/AA3U4YSQ/full-text.pdf

It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero, or, if the file was added on another computer, it may not yet have been synced to zotero.org."

* Checking /Users/hannah/Zotero/storage/AA3U4YSQ I see the folder is indeed empty.
* When I check the online zotero library, I see that there is only a link to the reference, but no file.
* When I search my computer, I can find the file in the location that the old Mendeley version used to save files to (Mendeley desktop).

2. For reference:
I see:
"The attached file could not be found at the following path:

/Users/hannah/Zotero/storage/XYDME83I/full-text.pdf
It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero, or, if the file was added on another computer, it may not yet have been synced to zotero.org."

Checking /Users/hannah/Zotero/storage/XYDME83I I see the folder is indeed empty.

This is a reference that was added under the new Mendeley Reference Manager, as all text seem to be 'saved' under the name full-text.pdf

Thank you very much for your help,

Hannah
  • To add to this - the files CAN be found on the computer that I did the import on and this computer is linked to the online zotero account. I've synched it multiple times, and the references are there, but not the files. Therefore, files are not accessible on my other computer. I apologise, if I am missing something very obvious. Any help would be highly appreciated!
  • edited January 17, 2023
    From what I can see in the report importer had trouble accessing Mendeley servers and was terminated only 28 seconds after it was started.

I'd recommend running the importer again, this time with debug enabled. Re-importing will not make duplicates and will not override any changes you might have done in Zotero (unless you instruct importer to do so by unchecking relevant option).

Please make sure that after entering credentials into the wizard, and confirming options on the following step, you allow the importer to run (it can take minutes, or even hours for very large libraries), the progress bar should be moving eventually but might be slow to start.

If it doesn't succeed this time or the progress bar doesn't move for a long time, please post a debug ID here.
  • Thanks, I tried re-importing (shown as successful), then synching again. The desktop app then shows a yellow triangle with the warning:

"You have reached your Zotero File Storage quota. Some files were not uploaded. Other Zotero data will continue to sync to the server.

See your zotero.org account settings for additional storage options."

When checking my File Storage Quota online, I see that I have only used 305.9 MB (5.1%) of my 6GB quota.

The re-importing took much longer this time. I cannot unfortunately provide you with details or send you the bug report, as zotero crashed when I tried to Help > Debug Output Logging > View output.

would you recommend trying the import again? Or does it look like a syncing issues (based on the message above). Happy to try again and hope it won't crash before sending the report.
  • edited January 17, 2023
    Are you still getting this? You're now using almost 5 GB of storage.

In any case, online file storage is totally unrelated to the Mendeley import, which just imports into your local Zotero library on your computer. It sounds like the import worked fine this time.
  • Thanks for checking in again. I didn't do anything since having sent the last message, but maybe the online file storage upload was delayed, so files I could find on the computer on which I did the Mendeley import could not be synched to the zotero on my other machine.

• [Update]: As after the lag in synching, some files were still missing on the secondary computer, I saw that I was out of storage again, updated the plan and the rest of the files are now synching.

Thanks for your help!