Feature Request - Keep text in Quick Search

Not sure how much time this costs others, but I find myself many times a day having to retype a search term into the quick search in Library mode due to either changing collections or having to move the selection from a collection to My Library. Each time a search location is changed, the search box resets to blank. It would save great time and frustration to leave the search term there.
Thanks
  • 或许可以通过高级搜索功能保存你的搜索
  • I have over 14,000 entries and search dozens of different items daily. Saved searches is not at all practical. The problem is that I often type my search terms before I realize that I need to move the collection focus to 'My Library'. Doing so resets the search box to blank and causing the search terms to be re-entered. It is my fault that I did not first move to My Library, but I suspect I am not the only one, as my focus in on the research, not the mechanics of the program.
  • 搜索记录确实是实用的,希望可以推出
  • 这和高级搜索是不同的两个领域
  • Yes, this is a long-standing request and is something we hope to address.
  • Great - thank you! All your hard work is greatly appreciated. Zotero has become a vital part of the my research workflow, so even the small details make a big difference.
  • FWIW, I understand both points of view and each has merits at different times. Another app I use solved this by adding a dropdown with search history - click the down arrow to display the list then double-click a term. No typing.
  • Hi,
    Any possibility that making that this (making the quick text search persistent when changing collections) gets implement in Zotero 7?

Thanks
  • I came to the forum this morning to ask the same. It would be a tremendous help to eliminate the retyping.
  • I opened a thread earlier today about the issue (did not find this thread). Here my entry again.
    --------
    I have lots of subcollections ... so most of the time I have some subcollection marked. And then I want to search for an article.

I write something in the search field. And get no hit.
    "Oh, sh*t, I am inside the subcollection, of course, stupid ..."

So I mark "My Library" and want that search to be done there, globally
    Doesn't work that way. The search field is automatically cleared so I must write the search entry again .. that weird name, how was it spelt again ..?

Would it be possible to let a search field entry stay in place when changing collection? Or would that disrupt work-flows for others? Maybe as a setting then?
    For me this happens several times per day ...

thnx
  • Check out the new Z7 look and feel in the recent beta. They have also implemented several other wonderful timesavers, such as the dropdown list of open tabs to quickly find and navigate to an open pdf, as well as adding advanced search as a choice to the library search button. Hopefully they will add this feature in the near future as well :)

I had not tried a Z7 beta for several months and the latest one performs far better than Z6. In particular, I have more than 15k items in my library and when I need to retype my search entry because I was in the wrong collection, the library loads about twice as fast as before. Also, "in text" searches are far faster now. Great improvements! If only pdf.js would handle JPEG2000 and JBIG2 decompression as fast as it does JPEG - but that is for the folks on the pdf.js project to fix.
  • I have 7beta since many months, but have not found the search entry to stick when changing sub/collection. I love Zotero and pay them for cloud hosting. I use advanced search a lot, saving smart searches.

"the dropdown list of open tabs to quickly find and navigate to an open pdf" ... I haven't found, although I always explore features w ctrl-click and so forth to try to find menus. I'd like such a dropdown list, where?
  • The things I mentioned are in the most recent Beta from today. There is a little arrow on the far right of the tabs that points down. Clicking that will open the list of open tabs and let you choose one to navigate to.
    No, search entry does not stick - yet.
  • Hey, I didn't have the arrow. Did "Check for Updates" nothing new. Decided to quit Zotero and open again. Then the arrow was there, suddenly. I like it! But it seems something w beta updates did not work. No notification. But maybe downloaded in background anyway, since it was very quick just quitting and restarting and new version seems to be there.
  • Seems like this is an ongoing issue as have found threads dating back to 2017 on this. Why isn't it implemented yet Zotero? I actually came searching because I am sick of my search term not staying once I click on an article... i then have to search the article for that term, so end up re-writing it in (as I forget to copy it everytime!). This was one of the (only) good things about Mendeley, is that it would keep that. I am using the desktop version btw. Please sort it Zotero!