Cannot cite in new or used documents in Google Docs

Report ID : 63565985

so while im typing my works, when im about to do cite some words, the citation just stop working, and it says "Zotero experienced an error updating your document."

any help?
  • edited November 2, 2022
    Update: Fixed now in Zotero Connector 5.0.100 for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.

Sorry, we're currently having a problem with Google Docs integration v1.

For now, you can fix this by enabling Google Docs integration v2:

1) Open the Zotero Connector preferences — right-click on the "Save to Zotero" button in your browser toolbar and click Options or Preferences

2) Click on the Advanced tab

3) Enable Google Docs Integration v2

4) Reload Google Docs

You should then be able to use the Google Docs plugin normally (and it should actually be much faster). If you encounter any problems after enabling v2, let us know in a separate thread.

You can also install Zotero Connector 5.0.100 for Firefox, which should work normally with either version.

This should be fixed in 5.0.100 for Chrome and Edge once they're approved by Google and Microsoft, which should happen within the next 24 hours.
  • Zotero Connector 5.0.100 for Chrome is now out with a fix. Your Chrome should update automatically within a few hours, or you can open the Extensions pane and click Update. Be sure to reload Google Docs afterward.

Sorry for the disruption.
  • And fixed now in Zotero Connector 5.0.100 for Edge.
  • It is not working in Firefox. Can't add or edit citations, refresh, add bibliography.
  • What about Safari?
  • edited November 2, 2022
    Same for me for Chrome (google docs) - I went to the app and saw a warning sign (triangle with an exclamation mark on the top right) which after bringing my cursor on said that I reached the 200MB free limit and I had to upgrade my storage. I did and the problem was solved. I have to say it is outrageous that Zotero crashed for all my google documents - which is my Ph.D. dissertation- because I reached the free storage limit.

[Admin note: Upgrading storage wouldn't have had any effect on this. Google Docs integration has nothing to do with Zotero Storage. — D.S.]
  • Tried enabling v2 and it worked for a bit, but it is down again. Same error message as OP.
  • edited November 3, 2022
    @wineeko: This has nothing to do with storage.

Chrome, Firefox, and Edge should all be working with 5.0.100 or later, and Safari should be working as long as you're using Zotero 6.0.17.

If you're using Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, you may want to switch back to v1, as there's a Google bug that can cause errors with v2 in some documents (which is why it's not yet the default). If you're still having trouble with v1, please provide a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector for reloading Google Docs and trying to cite.
  • I had the same issue as ghosh100. It worked for a bit, but down again. Now, thought, I don't even get a message error. It won't even try to call up Zotero. I get nothing. I've tried switching back to v1. Nope.

Report ID: 1872731941
  • @spaetkau12: As I say, we need a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) from the Zotero Connector for reloading Google Docs and trying to cite, with the v2 setting turned off in the preferences.
  • edited November 5, 2022
    Just as an update here, if you're still having trouble, make sure you're using the latest version of Zotero and the Zotero Connector, and make sure that Google Docs integration v2 is disabled in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences.

v2 is a new, much faster version of the plugin, but it unfortunately doesn't work in all documents due to a Google bug. v2 happened to avoid the outage yesterday, so we temporarily advised turning it on as a workaround, but it's now generally better to leave it off until Google fixes the bug.

If you're still having trouble, please start a new thread.
This discussion has been closed.