Alphabetizing issue when creating biibliographies

Hi There,
I have just recently started using Zotero and am having an issue where instead of my bibliography alphabetizing by author last name, it is alphabetizing by author first name. I have tried all suggestions I have seen here on the forums for issues like this, and none have seemed to work. I am currently running Zotero on a macbook pro running on Monterey 12.4, and the issue occurs in any bibliography format that requires alphabetization. Really, I only need it to work well with Chicago author-date and Séminaire Saint-Sulpice -- Ecole Théologie (Français). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • This sounds like you may have you authors entered incorrectly in Zotero?

Could you paste a bibliography entry for Chicago author-date here?
  • Martin Heidegger, Being and Time, trans. John Macquarrie and Edward Robinson (New York: Harper & Row, 1968).
  • That's a footnote in Chicago full note, not a bibliography entry for Chicago author date?
  • Martin Heidegger. 1968. Being and Time. Translated by John Macquarrie and Edward Robinson. New York: Harper & Row.
  • Yeah, you have the author as Martin Heidegger in a single field rather than Heidegger, Martin in two fields in Zotero. Click on the two small white rectangles next to the name to switch -- the way you currently have this, Zotero treats the name like an institutional name (you'd, e.g., enter "United Nations" this way).
  • Thanks, yeah that works better. The issue is that if I have an entry formatted that way then when I create a bibliography with Séminaire Saint-Sulpice -- Ecole Théologie (Français), the bibliography entry would also read as 'last name, first name,' and for that style it is supposed to just be rendered as 'first name last name'
  • That's an error in the style then, but also seems very odd, so are you sure about that? -- bibliography entries virtually never start with first names because it makes it incredibly hard to find items alphabetically.
  • It appears like this: HEIDEGGER Martin, Being and Time, trad. MACQUARRIE John, , trad. ROBINSON Edward, Harper & Row, New York, 1968.

• Yes, what is concerning to me is that when I initially had the author names entered, I was at a brief citation seminar, and while my citations were appearing out of last-name alphabetical order, I was the only person who had this issue.