Unable to install Zotero plugin in Word (Office 365 Mac)

When I try to install the zotero 5.0 plugin in word I get this message:
Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.

[Exception... "Word does not appear to be installed on this computer. Please install Microsoft Word, then try again. @[install:install.m:153]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js :: checkStatus :: line 212" data: no]

Does anyone know how to solve this?
thanks Bert
  • edited October 20, 2017
    What specific version of Word are you running? Are you by chance running the Office Insider Fast version (16.6 or later)? If so, that beta version currently brakes a lot of Add-in functionality (not just Zotero) and isn't currently supported. You should uninstall Word and reinstall the stable release version.
  • Thank you for your advice. Your right, I'm using version 16.7 (fast insider version). I will try to downgrade.
  • You will need to change your update preferences to not use Insider Fast, then uninstall Word and reinstall it.
  • Same issue here. 16.7 (NOT fast insider). I tried to hold off on updates, which worked for a few days but then Word forced the updates. So, re-installing Word is only a temporary solution if Word is ging to keep forcing updates to 16.7.
  • The current release version is 15.39. Disable Office Insider updates and reinstall. Hopefully they will have fixed the major bugs in this version before they push to the release channel.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Update-history-for-Office-2016-for-Mac-700cab62-0d67-4f23-947b-3686cb1a8eb7
  • edited October 21, 2017
    After downgrading to version 15.39 and unchecking the "join insider Fast program" checkbox in the upgrade panel everything works fine now!
    Thanks for your help bwierink!
  • @dstillman Can we pin this thread? This is coming up a lot recently.
  • I am running a Mac and cannot get pass the installation is there anyone up to assist?
  • We're happy to help, but you'd need to give us more details, starting with the exact Word version you're using and where you're stuck.
  • Dear bwiernik,

Thank you for your comments to fix Zotero problem in Word. I have wasted one day to solve this problem before. But, when I apply your commet, my problem is solved. Thanks a lot! You have saved my time (which I need most in these days for writing final papers).
  • @bwiernik @dstillman out of curiosity: Zotero remains broken for the Insider Builds of Office, which can be expected. I was wondering though, are any of you aware of what MS is doing or exactly why it is broken? What if any of these breaking changes make it into the release builds of office for Mac?

I have been unable to find good info on the roadmap for Word 2016 in that respect.
  • I don't think there has ever been much communication over what changes to expect from Office developers in new releases. Generally, though, Zotero uses some very basic features of Word that have worked generally well over the years without much change on our side and that would be very surprising if changed by Office. I'd expect that most changes are related to them either refactoring their existing code (which, given that it worked well for such a long time could in order for some cleaning) or trying to expand the capabilities of Fields/Footnotes.
  • edited January 17, 2018
    @adomasven Thanks for the update.

@busydoc Incidentally, the most recent Insider Fast build: 180114 v16.10 was installed on my system today. Upon startup of Zotero (5.0.35-beta.1+e3dee4dee) I quite unexpectedly got the notification that the Word Plugin was installed successfully.

Everything seems to work fine... a nice surprise after so many broken versions of Word :)
  • @KrisJ Does the Word plugin work as expected? Can you add/edit citations and are the fields highlighted in gray as normal?
  • @bwiernik @busydoc Seems I claimed victory a bit too early. Added references are indeed not added as 'fields' correctly and hence are not editable, nor is the reference list if you add it.

Also, upon restart of Word I am now greeted by a warning (as the plugin at least loads in this build of Word):

https://flic.kr/p/22cdUjn

Sorry for the false alarm!
  • @dstillman @adomasven It looks like the quotes in the new warning window aren't being displayed correctly on some systems. See the screenshot linked above.
  • Just installed the new Word 365 version for Mac an hour ago (16.9 (180116)) and get the same warning message after re-installing the Zotero for Word plugin.
    Also, Zotero is experiencing all sorts of weird behaviour now in Word (not being able to edit; refresh adds a duplicate citation in a different font; etc.).
  • @dstillman @adomasven @adamsmith I just installed 16.10 (180124) and now it would seem things are indeed functional again: citations can be added and remain present as fields. Bibliography can be added and old documents can be opened, edited without issue...

https://flic.kr/p/23JoJiU

Knock on wood...
  • Hi there,
    I am having the same problem, using Office 365 on Mac.
    I just updated to the latest version - 16.11 (180311) but can not install the add in.
    When trying I to install the add in in Zotero it shows this message:

Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.

[Exception... "Word does not appear to be installed on this computer. Please install Microsoft Word, then try again. @[install:install.m:183]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js :: checkStatus :: line 211" data: no]

Any idea what to do?
  • FIXED - had not updated Zotero ..
    works fine now!