group restore?

I'm using Zotero Groups for two courses, Hist 299 and Hist 491, I setup as their own subgroups at the Zotero Group "Hist and Am Studies - UMW" (http://tinyurl.com/lwl5p3).

One of the two courses, complete with all its subfolders, disappeared this week (H491). I'm not sure how it happened, whether it was an accidental deletion by a student or another sort of glitch (we've had smaller subfiles go missing recently), but I'm now looking for a means to backup and restore group files.

I tried exporting (as an RDF) a the course's group files that had survived on an unsynced computer, but could only get it to import to my home files again and not upload to Groups. Apologies if I've missed the right info in support documentation, but I'd be grateful for directions or a link to a write-up.

I'll also be looking forward to an update, if it's coming, that allows admin to set users' capabilities on groups more precisely, esp. a setting so that members can add, but only admins subtract.

Otherwise Zotero Groups are working out v. nicely for my teaching this fall!
  • One of the two courses, complete with all its subfolders, disappeared this week (H491).
    It looks like this happened on 9/21. It may have been user error, or it may have been due to a bug in an earlier beta version that's since been fixed. In case it was the latter, we've now blocked off syncing from earlier versions.

There's no way to restore group libraries from a backup at the moment, though in this case I imagine the items in those collections are still in the group library and it's just the group-item associations that were lost. So you should be able to recreate those collections in the group library fairly easily by using the collections in the imported backup in your personal library as a guide. (You want to put the items still in the group library into the recreated collections, though, and not the re-imported items.)
    I'll also be looking forward to an update, if it's coming, that allows admin to set users' capabilities on groups more precisely, esp. a setting so that members can add, but only admins subtract.
    A number of people have suggested this, and it's something we plan to implement.
  • Just chiming in to agree vigorously that...

• A role with permissions to add but not delete would be very welcome; and
    • A facility for backing up a group library would also be great to have.
  • Want to ask for the ability to restrict group users from creating/deleting/renaming a collection/subcollection. That could be restricted to admins. I could also imagine times when an owner or admin would want to permanently lock a collection.
  • Any news on this? We really would appreciate some kind of backup functionality for the group library or, if this is not possible for now, a new role for users restrictring them from deleting content.