Zotero Integration Error

Hi,

This is really a continuation of the thread on the problems I was having at http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8689/snow-leopard-macword-plugins/ though now the problem has become something else. I suppose I ought to therefore start a new thread. I am now being prevented from adding new citations by the following error message:

Zotero Integration Error

Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again.

I had just upgraded to the latest version of Zotero and added the necessary add-ons to make it work on Mac Snow Leopard with MacWord 2008. I had to load this onto a new profile in Firefox, as some kind of problem described in the thread mentioned above stopped it working in my existing profile. The only one of my previous add-ons that I have added to the new profile is X-marks - it was after this that the error message above appeared. Uninstalling this plugin does not seem to work, however.

Please help! Many thanks indeed in advance.
  • just making sure - you have installed the newest plugin (released at the same time as 2.07b)?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation#microsoft_word1
  • Yes, indeed I have.
  • I was having the same problems last week and added the two file workaround you suggested. Zotero basically worked, albeit with lots of Python errors. I deleted those two files, installed the new Zotero and Word plug-in, and now Zotero doesn't react at all when I try to add or refresh a footnote. No error message, nothing.
  • UPennBen: The two-file workaround was specific to the previous plugin version and has no bearing on issues with the new plugins. That's why that thread was closed.

We're updating the troubleshooting page now with troubleshooting steps for the new plugins.
  • Thanks, Dan. Do you think these will help resolve my issue? Could you paste the link in here if so?
  • I'll post here when the page is updated, but while we're working on it: try closing Firefox, deleting extensions.cache, compreg.dat, and xpti.dat from your Firefox profile directory, and restarting Firefox. (Those are cache files that will be automatically recreated.)
  • Thanks once again, Dan. That did the job. Will I need to keep doing this? Or basically every time I get a conflict? Is it the other add-ons that are probably causing the problem?
  • I reinstalled to no avail and tried the fixes here and in troubleshooting. It's as if Zotero is not talking to Word at all. Report # 1339147035
  • edited September 15, 2009
    Robin: Well, this may have been a different issue from your previous one (in that that one seemed to be a more general problem with installed extensions).

We're not quite sure of the cause of this, other than that the PyXPCOM extension seems to be a little fragile, but we're still investigating. Let us know if you get the component error again.
  • UPennBen: If you're not getting the component error described by Robin above, then you don't have the same issue and should start a new thread.
  • I have Leopard and Word2004 - I'm getting the same error as listed above:

Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again.

I've tried deleting the files in the profile directory and it seems to have no effect. I've reinstalled the 2 files a number of times to no effect. Are there any other suggestions?
  • Install plugin version 3.0a2 from the installation page.
  • I have that one installed already. :(
  • You have 3.0a2? Not 3.0a1? You can check in Tools->Add-ons->Extensions.
  • mwg321: try deleting extensions.cache, compreg.dat, and xpti.dat once again, and then open Firefox from the terminal (skip steps 1 and 3 there; only step 2 is necessary). Paste the output from the terminal here or email it to support@zot...org, and we'll try to figure out what's going on.
  • I sent an email to support. Thanks for your help. Also, I don't know if this is part of it, but I can't seem to uninstall the Python add-on (trying to uninstall to re-install). Every time I click uninstall and restart Firefox, the Python stays as installed in the add-on window. (The 3.0a2 uninstalls fine)
  • The new 3.0a5 fixed it! Thank you so much!