Attach files to group libaries

In 2.0b7 the command "attach link to file" is grayed out and unsable. But "attach stored copy of a file" is black and I get the error message that not supported.
+ Can you disactivate the "attach stored copy of a file" command if it's actually not supported to group libaries?
+ What's the problem with a "link to file" if I'm able to attach a "link to actual web side"?
  • Can you disactivate the "attach stored copy of a file" command if it's actually not supported to group libaries?
    That's a bug—it's supported when the group supports it. We'll fix that, but you can work around it in the meantime by just dragging a file into Zotero and onto an item.
    What's the problem with a "link to file" if I'm able to attach a "link to actual web side"?
    A web page has a URL that can be accessed from anywhere. A linked file is just a pointer to a file on your hard drive (or another attached volume) and is, among other things, OS-specific.
  • edited September 15, 2009
    > but you can work around it in the meantime by just dragging a file into Zotero and onto an item.

Very nice. :)

> A web page has a URL that can be accessed from anywhere. A linked file is just a pointer to a file on your hard drive (or another attached volume) and is, among other things, OS-specific.

Well. We a building up a closed group to work at office or from home office. Because it's our work we do use the same operating system (Windows) and do have the same mounting points / drive letters to access network storage drives. And we don't like to store the full reports files on Zotero server because of limitations on the reports (confidential etc.). Therefore we'd prefer to attach link to the report files rather than the files itself.

Is there a way to replace a stored (dummy) http web path by a local file path? Can we use UNC path if path with drive letters a not supportet?
  • You should be able to store links to file: URLs. Use File->Open to open a file on the network drive to see an example URL.
  • It works. If I open a file from network, e.g. a pdf file, I can attach a link to the actual "web page" stored as file:///....pdf.

Thanks.