NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED

Hi, just got this error on my partner's machine

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.remove]" nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js :: _deleteExistingAttachmentFiles :: line 862" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 862}]

report id 801562064

windows xp, firefox 3.5.3 zotero r5085

Regards, Jon.
  • I haven't tried to reproduce this, but it could probably happen if an attachment file that was modified remotely was open on the syncing machine. (At least, it could probably happen on Windows, which appears to be much more finicky about open files.)

If you enable debug output from the Advanced pane of the prefs you should be able to see what file it's trying to overwrite.

We can add a nicer error message.
  • I have a similar issue on my winxp system after updating zotero to 2.0b7: "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.remove]" Yesterday, I had no such error after opdating zotero in linux.

The error report (337823779) is full of errors like "[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Trying to update finished request null/7KEERTKU in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Request.onProgress()' when calling method: [nsIProgressEventSink::onProgress]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]"

To check if there are any locks on the 7KEERTKU files on the webdav, I opened zotero directory on the server with explorer and tried to copy the two files (prop and zip) to my desktop, deleted them on the server and re-copied the files from my desktop to the server. The error persisted.

Error report: 337823779
    Debug report: D804524438
  • kobbejager: That's a local error not related to WebDAV locking (which Zotero doesn't use).

Are you still getting this in 2.0b7.1 and after a computer restart?
  • unfortunately yes, exactly the same error. (new error report: 263378965)
  • Something similar (?) here, after upgrade to 2.0b7.1 .

Error message:
    Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.create]

Report ID 1995888376

Computer restart did not help.

(Win XP professional/ FF 3.0.4 / Z 2.0b7.1 )
  • i have same error after upgrade to 2.0b7.1 .

(Win 7 RTM / FF 3.5.3 / Z 2.0b7.1 )
  • FrankBase: This should be fixed in 2.0b7.2.

madsjensen: Which error? Please provide a Report ID from Report Errors under the gear menu.
  • edited September 23, 2009
    I still have this error with FF 3.5.3 and Zot 2.0b7.2. My report ID is 1900800984. I think it started relatively recently.
  • Same as stated bij seans_potato_biz: had it with 2.0b7.2&2.0b7.1:

Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.remove]

Box.net webdav is used for file storage.

Report ID: 173857697
  • The problem I described before, showed up after updating to zotero2.0b7.0 and persisted after updating to zotero 2.0b7.2.
    After a week without proper syncing, I decided to try to resolve the problem. I tried the following:
    - yesterday I purged the deleted and orphaned storage files: at first the error didn't show up, but today (after restarting FF) it was back
    - I resetted the sync history, but the error persited
    - I resetted the local database with the online version, but things got even worse: got some kind of Itemid = null error, after which an empty sync confict resolution window appeared and automagically disappeared again after a second or two, and after which the original error appeared again. (a pity I din't bother to make error or debug reports at this point)
    - as the latest information is certainly online and not in my local copy, I removed the sqlite files and the storage directory locally (well, actually moved it, to be able to revert to the actual state)and restored the local version again with the online data. A drastic solution, but it resolved the problem...
  • edited October 1, 2009
    For what it's worth, what I said at the top of this thread still applies:
    it could probably happen if an attachment file that was modified remotely was open on the syncing machine. (At least, it could probably happen on Windows, which appears to be much more finicky about open files.)
    I've reproduced this on Windows XP by simply viewing a PDF from Zotero in Firefox, modifying it remotely, and syncing.

The next version of Zotero (and the current dev builds) will display a more helpful message identifying the file in question, but that's pretty much the only thing we can do about it.

This applies to the "(NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.remove]" error only. If you get this exact error and don't think you have a file open, and the error persists even after restarting your computer, let us know and provide a Debug ID. If you get any different error, please start a new thread.
  • Got the same error while sync"ing my whole database to a freshly installed Windows 7. No attachments in question were open (they didn't even exist on this PC). Also, I believe that the sync occurs bit by bit every time I launch Zotero. It goes up to some 6% and then stops, but the number of to-be-synchronized files slowly diminishes I think.
  • kovla: We'll need a Report ID and a Debug ID.
  • Report ID was 1094429059
    Debug ID is D1102339107 (hopefully, it the corresponding one)

As I mentioned, number of files to be downloaded gets smaller. The number of files to upload gets higher though, and no extra sources have been added to the library.
  • kovla: Can you provide another Debug ID for a subsequent sync that produces the error?
  • Of course:

Report ID: 1385810900
    Debug ID: D47730819

Meanwhile, I have successfully synchronized from scratch my laptop running Windows XP. The problematic Windows 7 machine still struggles after all this time, but only 22 files are left unsynchronized now.
  • You need to enable the debug output before the sync attempt.
  • My bad, this should be right:

D149895055
  • (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIZipReader.extract]
    kovla: This isn't the same error as above (which is for nsIFile.remove rather than nsIZipReader.extract). Post your Debug ID to http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/10351/ so we can keep related things together.
  • Thanks for pointing that out. Errors might be different, but from the user end it looks all the same. The issue was just as it was in the beginning: the sync started, came to about 6-8% and then dropped with one of these two errors. As I suspected, synchronization occurred bit by bit. During the last ten days all of my records were synchronized in this fashion, piece by piece. Unfortunately this means I cannot reproduce the problem any longer, unless I wipe out the database again, and I need it for work.

I appreciate all the support (and, indeed, Zotero itself is a superb piece of software), and if I can help in any other fashion, please let me know.
  • Hi kovla, I just had the same problem. On another board I read that this might be a problem of the antivirus software, especially kaspersky. I deactivated kasperky shortly and the files could be downloaded all at one time without any problems. Maybe this also works for you.