'accepted', 'in print' and 'submitted' in cit and bib - HOW?

I have been trying to edit styles so that not-yet-published articles are shown as

(Clark subm.) or (Madison & Yates in print) or (Welles et al. accepted)

and

Clark, C.G. (in print): On the hyposphene [...] - Journal of Anatomy
etc.

the 'in print', 'submitted' and 'accepted' I would like to be able to enter in the 'Date' field, so that on correction to the entry is sufficient once the paper has appeared.

I can't get it to work! Instead of the desired term, I always get nothing at all, which is also true for various styles in the repository that should show 'in print' etc.
Can anyone tell me how to do this, please?
  • I think there are a couple of styles that output "in print", but only when the date field is entirely empty. In that case the string is hard-coded though, so you couldn't use "in print", "submitted" and "accepted" at the same time for different items. Looks like CSL needs a bit of work on this.
  • thanks, that helps a bit!
    I guess I could define a new field, and there set variables that refer to hard-coded strings for all three.

Can you point me to a style that does the 'in print' thingy?
  • Can't find an example (maybe I imagined it). Some older comments of mine:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/4418/in-press-as-item-type/?Focus=18977#Comment_18977
  • thanks for the links!

the workaround by orpheus49 (http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/882/) works, but has trouble with the 'collapse' option in multi cites. However, that is much less manual editing than before. Another issue with it is that the entries do not get disambiguated.

(Clark in press; Clark in press])
    instead of
    (Clark in press a, in press b)

I'm currently trying to figure out how to handle that.
  • csl does have a variable "status" for this - no corresponding Zotero field, I fear.
  • Oh, OK..... ummmm..

could you please enlighten me how I can make use of that, then? I don't know too much about csl, all I manage is trial&error changes to an existing style until things work roughly the way I want them.

I abjactly failed to write a macro with a simple if/else decision.
  • edited September 10, 2009
    sorry, you can't - that was meant as a note for posteriority, because it means that the problem is zotero and not csl - as soon as zotero finds a way to "map" to that variable, we can use it in csl. Until then - not.

Let us help with the macro, what isn't working (start new thread)?
  • ah, OK.

I managed the macro by now, thank you for your offer. However, it seems zotero has a weird way of determining whether a Date is numerical, and that makes the distinction I wanted to use moot.