MLA 2008/09 Update!

Hello everyone...

First of all, let me just say bravo to the team behind this amazing software. I am using it along with EndNote X3 and it works wonders. Best of all... its completely free!!! Please keep it that way :)

Was just wondering when the MLA style would be updated for Zotero reflecting the citational changes proposed in MLA 2008 update?
  • do you have a link? - do you know what the most important changes are?
  • Actually I have both MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (2009 Edition) and MLA Style Manual (2008 Edition). There are lots of significant changes. One of the most important changes is to document the source of reference at the end of a given citation. For example:

Douglass, Frederick. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave, Written by Himself. 1845. Classic American Autobiographies. Ed. William L. Andrews and Henry Louis Gates, Jr. New York: Lib. of Amer., 2000. 267-368. Print.

Note the addition of the medium (print) after pages numbers towards the end.
  • * No More Underlining! Underlining is no more. MLA now recommends italicizing titles of independently published works (books, periodicals, films, etc).
    * No More URLs! While website entries will still include authors, article names, and website names, when available, MLA no longer requires URLs. Writers are, however, encouraged to provide a URL if the citation information does not lead readers to easily find the source.
    * Continuous Pagination? Who Cares? You no longer have to worry about whether scholarly publications employ continuous pagination or not. For all such entries, both volume and issue numbers are required, regardless of pagination.
    * Publication Medium. Every entry receives a medium of publication marker. Most entries will be listed as Print or Web, but other possibilities include Performance, DVD, or TV. Most of these markers will appear at the end of entries; however, markers for Web sources are followed by the date of access.
    * New Abbreviations. Many web source entries now require a publisher name, a date of publication, and/or page numbers. When no publisher name appears on the website, write N.p. for no publisher given. When sites omit a date of publication, write n.d. for no date. For online journals that appear only online (no print version) or on databases that do not provide pagination, write n. pag. for no pagination.

pasted from:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/15/

Another website that lists some of the changes:

http://academics.byuh.edu/RWC/MLAupdate
  • Hi all,

MLA made a major revision to their format. For the BiblioBouts project, our pilot institution uses MLA and the librarians have asked that this style be updated to match the current standard.

Is it possible that this could get updated ASAP?
  • OK, I will take a step soon, let me go through the changes listed above:
    * No More Underlining! Underlining is no more. MLA now recommends italicizing titles of independently published works (books, periodicals, films, etc).
    Zotero never did that anyway.
    * No More URLs! While website entries will still include authors, article names, and website names, when available, MLA no longer requires URLs. Writers are, however, encouraged to provide a URL if the citation information does not lead readers to easily find the source.
    easy.
    * Continuous Pagination? Who Cares? You no longer have to worry about whether scholarly publications employ continuous pagination or not. For all such entries, both volume and issue numbers are required, regardless of pagination
    same here - we've long hoped this would happen.
    * Publication Medium. Every entry receives a medium of publication marker. Most entries will be listed as Print or Web, but other possibilities include Performance, DVD, or TV. Most of these markers will appear at the end of entries; however, markers for Web sources are followed by the date of access.
    OK, this may be hard. I can just "guess", but implementing this will be difficult.
    * New Abbreviations. Many web source entries now require a publisher name, a date of publication, and/or page numbers. When no publisher name appears on the website, write N.p. for no publisher given. When sites omit a date of publication, write n.d. for no date. For online journals that appear only online (no print version) or on databases that do not provide pagination, write n. pag. for no pagination.
    We have a date field, but we don't have a publisher for webpages - ideas?
  • so how about this little macro for the publication medium?
    It would treat something as Web as soon as it has a doi or a URL.
    Here is the problem - it seems like, in order for print Journals accesed online to be treated as web content (as MLA requires) the "include URL" box needs to be checked.
    This does not include the other options (performance, DVD, etc.) but maybe that's OK for now?

<macro name="medium">
    <choose>
    <if variable="URL DOI" match="any">
    <text value="Web">
    </text>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text value="Print">
    </text>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>
  • But almost all print journals nowadays also supply DOIs, and surely their medium is print?
  • no, not according to MLA -
    check this example:

Berger, James D. and Helmut J. Schmidt. "Regulation of Macronuclear DNA Content in Paramecium Tetraurelia." The Journal of Cell Biology 76.1 (1978): 116-126. JSTOR. Web. 20 Nov. 2008.

this is a 30 year old print journal - but because you have accessed it through the Web, you cite it as a Web source. I'm not sure why they want to do that, but it is clear that they do. My thinking is that you'd never get an doi for an article you get out of the paper copy of a journal - that seems a reasonable assumption, no?

I have no idea how to get the JSTOR in there, though. Maybe use Repository, though that would screw up the archive entries maybe?
  • edited August 7, 2009
    Why not just check for a URL? For example:

<choose>
    <if variable="URL">
    <text value="Web"/>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text value="Print"/>
    </else>
    </choose>

Of course we would want to move these values to a locale. It also might make sense to include the medium as part of the "accessed" macro.

The real hard part comes when accommodating other media (broadcasts, video, etc.) especially since the medium string sometimes needs to wind up deeper (that is to say, earlier) in the citation and not just at the end. The addition of medium is a complete hash and clearly shows that the drafters were not thinking at all in terms of how software might need to represent the style programmatically.
  • hey Sean - thanks - look up - I wrote literally the same thing you did :-)
    "move these values to a locale" - not sure I'm following here, what exactly do you mean (this might be simple).
  • I think this actually looks pretty good.
    go here
    http://gist.github.com/164283
    download using the raw link on the top right.
    Please report back test results and - those .csl savvy - suggested improvements.
  • I've updated this - now the weird paging requirements should work - e.g. n. pag. for journals in all cases, but for newspapers and magazines only in their print version (don't blame me, I didn't make this up...)
    please test.
  • edited November 4, 2009
    hmm - I had expected some feedback...
    at least no one has found an error.
    So I've posted this now as
    "Modern Language Association 2009"
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/mla/dev?install=1
    is the install link. Please post all errors here.
    Note that the "Include URL of Paper Articles" option in the Export tab of the preferences needs to be enabled for this style to work correctly.
  • Sorry, I don't have to use MLA (fortunately)...
  • I am still having problems after I have installed the new fix for the new MLA style. I get the message box saying it was installed successfully, but when I export the citation, I still don't get the print or web designation at the end of the ciation. I am using Zotero 1.0, the newest FF & Word 2007 & the URL box is checked. (I've tried it both ways) and neither works. Am I missing a step?
  • hmm - are you selecting "Modern Language Assocation 2009" as the style in your document?
    I've only tested this on 2.0 - that could be an issues - I don't know what the difference in functionality is.
  • This works actually. Haven't yet tried all modes of publications, but print is surely added after print publications. Thanks man... great stuff :)
  • Hi adam. thanks for attempting to update the MLA style. I just downloaded yours and tested it out.

The film that I tried citing is still not correct. It's still not putting the title first. AND it had "print" at the end of the record for some reason.

Also I cited a web site and it's not correct either. The title of the cite should be italicized, not in quotation marks.

I'm still testing and will let you know what else I find. Thanks for trying, though.
  • Thanks. As I mentioned I hadn't worked on the film part yet
    Go here
    http://gist.github.com/209512
    download the style using the Raw link at the top right and install by dragging to an open FF window.

What this should do: For films, print
    _Title_. Dir. Firstnamedirector Lastnamedirector. Distributor, Date. Type.

Where Type is "Film" when the Recording Type field is empty and the content of the recording Type field otherwise.

It doesn't put the actors in and I don't think I can do that.

As for the Website - really? I found most of them in quotation marks in the guide. Can you link or quote something that addresses that?
  • Glad to see the quick response to the change in MLA format! One problem, however - MLA still does require place of publication for books, as far as I can tell, but this is now missing when I generate bibliographies with Zotero. Any chance this could be fixed quickly?
  • The location is there - the current MLA style prints

Titel. Location: Publisher, Year.
    As required, I just checked (and you can see for yourself when you hover over the MLA entry in the style repository).
    Please check that your record is complete and that you are using the most up to date MLA.

If you absolutely can't find what's wrong, please export the offending record to RIS and paste the RIS here.
  • It is actually all of my records - I just tried generating a bibliography again with a fresh document, and while the place is present in my database entry, it is absent in the bibliography. I checked again, and MLA is the stylesheet selected; I can tell it is using the new version because "print" and "web" are appearing.
  • hmmm - which Zotero version?
    Can you try in the test panel here?
    chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul

Can you paste one of the wrong citations here?
    Just so that we're on the same page, here is what I get for a book citation
    Vogel, David. Fluctuating Fortunes: The Political Power of Business in America. New York: Basic Books, 1988. Print.
  • I've updated the style to work correctly for movies and sound recordings. For the item types Film, Videorecording, Audio Recording and Podcast, Zotero will print the content of the "Format" field. If that is empty, it will print "Film" for Film and Videorecording and "Audio Recording" for Audio Recording and Podcast.
    Feedback appreciated.
  • oh - I just see that I might have regressed on some of the formatting for films I implemented in the version on github above - I'll have a look later this week.
  • The 2009 MLA requires listing publisher information for their full citing at the end of a paper. Zotero has no field to enter that information that I can find. (The forums here, for example, are published by Center for History and New Media.) Any fix for that in the works since the August 2009 comment above?
  • not sure I understand - could you give an example that doesn't work?
  • Any standard news website, for example. WashPo, NYTimes, etc. Also, annoyingly, the MLA wants all major words of the title of an article capitalized. Understandably, Zotero imports only what's written and the titles have to be hand 'corrected.' See below for a pretty random example. The publisher is The Washington Post Company. Where is the field entry for this piece of information if you use New Item> Newspaper Article? Would it be Rights?

http://wapo.st/fnOfGh
  • Newspaper articles in Zotero don't have a publisher field. As far as I know, MLA doesn't require that the you include the publisher for newspaper articles (unlike, say, books).