Abbreviating author names with hyphens

I've noticed that author's firstnames containg hyphens are not abbreviated correctly in any style I have installed (Genome Biology and BMC Bioinformatics in addition to the standard ones). For instance, Britt-Marie should be abbreviated B-M, but is currently abbreviated just B.

I thought this was just an issue with the styles, so that I could fix this myself, but I can't see that it is. How and where are the abbreviations created? Is there anything I can do to fix this myself?

/Daniel
  • Did you ever figure out how to fix this?

-Marc
  • I don't believe that's possible atm.
    Does either of you have a link to a style guide where that's ideally made explicit, or if not at least in an example?
  • Thanks for the reply.

We are in the process of moving report writers to use Zotero. A report made it to technical editing and came back that our style for hyphenated first names, ex. Ji-Ho is to have both letters of the hyphenated first name.

So full name Choi, Ji-Ho would be referenced as Choi JH.

I was looking into the CSL that an employee created (a hybrid between AMA and Harvard) to see if there was an attribute or something to have the style do this automatically for us.

Thanks,
    Marc
  • just to clarify - csl cannot do this at the moment. Maybe Frank and/or Bruce can stop by and say if this is likely to happen in the future.
  • So full name Choi, Ji-Ho would be referenced as Choi JH.
    Would "Choi J-H." also be correct, or does the style really specify that the hyphen should be dropped?
  • In my case, J-H would be correct, but not JH.

/Daniel
  • The style that we use specifies that the hyphen be dropped.

-Marc
  • edited September 21, 2009
    Note to self: Wikipedia uses the term "compound names" for this type of names (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_name#Catholic).

As the styles conflict, I guess we either need an option in CSL to toggle between including or dropping the hyphen for initialized compounded given names (e.g. the boolean attribute hyphenate-initialized-compound-given-names on the name element, which has a Scrabble score of 122 :P), or an option to specify an arbitrary delimiter (which might be overkill).
  • Thanks for the info Rintze.

I vote for a new attribute.

Is there a web page/document out there that shows what attributes we have available to us? I've been searching without any luck.

-Marc
  • The CSL schema is being updated & documentation is improving.

But the schema currently in use by zotero is:
    http://xbiblio.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xbiblio/csl/schema/tags/0.8/csl.rnc
    and is reasonably readable.

[note that the source for chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/csl.js is available & does reflect a few small differences between what zotero does & what is in the schema]
  • Excellent. Thanks.

Tried the csl.js and found it to be at:
    chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/csl.js

-Marc
  • Do you know if there is a solution now for this issue ?
    I would llike to abbreviate Jean-Marie to J.-M. (with the hyphen and the dots)

Thank you,
    Josefa
  • Following a report by Rintze, support for this was added to CSL 1.0, and has been implemented in the new CSL processor that will debut in Zotero 2.1 later this year. The current processor does not support this type of initialization.