Citing a conference presentation from a symposium

Does anyone know how to cite a conference presentation from a symposium? e.g. something like

Smith, B. (2009) Blah blah my paper title blah blah. In J. Jones & K. Jones (chairs), The Name of My Symposium. Symposium presented at Conference Name, New York, NY.
  • There's "conference paper" as an option under the green plus (Book, Book Section, Document, .... More >> Conference Paper).
  • Except, unfortunately, that still doesn't print the conference name, etc.
  • that depends on the citation style - it certainly can - since those types of papers are relatively rare, there's a good chance that a citation style doesn't get this right.
  • edited May 13, 2011
    So, actually, I've found the hack for me, and it's apparent zotero is computing this string (at least for the APA style). In zotero, if I have a "Presentation" with a meeting name OR a "Conference Paper" with a conference name, I get the right string for how it was "published":

Presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Judgment & Decision Making

But (again, just for APA), the title is correctly italicized only in "Presentation." So, that's fine - I guess I should use the presentation class. But in any case, I would like the BibTeX output to contain, e.g.:

howpublished = {Presented at the annual meeting of the {Society for
    Judgment and Decision Making}},

An additional wrinkle, which only works with the Presentation class, is I can also have a "type" argument, and if I set this to, say, "Paper," I get the following (correct) string for APA style:

Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Judgment & Decision Making

Ideally, that'd also be the thing that ends up in the BibTeX and NOT have "Paper" end up in the bibtex "type" field.

Any idea on how I might submit that request properly?

For now, I just copy these funny citations and keep a manual .bib file next to my zotero-generated bib file.

Thanks!
  • Zotero can't always do everything you need in your BibTeX output, since we need to provide compatible solutions for lots of people using different BibTeX workflows. But hopefully one of our BibTeX experts can chip in here and say whether there are realistic changes to make across the board.