"There was an error starting Zotero"

"There was an error starting Zotero" is the only message that I get when I try to open zotero.

Configuration:
Windows XP SP2
Firefox 3.0.8
Zotero 1.5b2

Zotero is directed to go to a network drive (I:\Zotero).

I have changed to the default "Use firefox profile directory", which then allows Zotero to open. This allowed for sync to occur. I tried to changed back to the network drive (it is accessible from "My Computer", and the error recurs.
  • Follow the steps in the Advanced Instructions section of the Reporting Bugs page and let us know what appears in the Error Console.
  • Thank you for the blazingly fast response.

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]" nsresult: "0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 975" data: no]
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js
    Line: 254

JFS
  • edited April 9, 2009
    With Firefox closed, check for a zotero.sqlit (not zotero.sqlite) file in the Zotero data directory on the network drive. If it's there, delete it.

If it's not there, are you trying with a copy of your data directory, or with an empty directory? It might be good to test with an empty data directory on the network drive first to make sure basic writing works, and then (again, with Firefox closed) copy the Zotero data over if so.
  • OK. the "zotero.sqlit" file was not there.

I created a folder called "Zotero_test" and directed Zotero to that empty directory on the same network drive. Zotero opened without error.

I can copy my files to that directory. Is that what you are requesting that I do? I have a fairly extensive library.

JFS
  • Is this a simple file-lock problem in the database? I may have firefox open on another computer.

JFS
  • What was in the original network directory? You can start by just copying the zotero.sqlite file into the new (empty) one, overwriting the zotero.sqlite you just created there.
  • As in, you have another Zotero installation open and pointing to the same directory on the network drive? If so, yes, that's probably the problem. Zotero gets an exclusive lock on the file. If it didn't, you would've likely corrupted your database.
  • Thank you for you rapid, excellent help.

I, in fact, left Firefox open on my office computer. This locked the database. I just didn't even think about it until I looked at the error code. All is OK.

JFS
  • Sorted now. Thanks to all for help/ideas and to Dan for speedy response
    RF