Word 2016 for Mac Problem

Zotero Standalone version 4.0.25.3
Microsoft Word 2016 (Office 365 version)

I have read through all the relevant posts I could find on this issue, and none made enough sense to help. I can not figure out how to enable Zotero citations within Word. I have installed, reinstalled, and reinstalled the Word plugin from the Zotero preferences (cite) pane. I have restarted Word multiple times. From what I gathered in other posts it seemed possible that Zotero was installing the add-on in the wrong location, but it was never clear where that file was supposed to actually be within Word's file system. I don't know what other information would be needed to diagnose the problem, but just let me know and I will post it. I appreciate any help. I have just started using Zotero so I am sure it is a problem I have created somehow.
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#no_zotero_add-on_visible_in_word_2016 and the instructions linked from there.
  • I have the same issue - and have followed the linked instructions. I'm using the Zotero standalone version 4.0.25.3 and Microsoft Word for Mac 15.20

I have repeatedly restarted Zotero and Word, reinstalled from Zotero preferences, am told I'm successful and to restart word.

I have found my way to the library and to the Zotero preferences, in which I don't find this

In your Firefox/Zotero profile, open the folder extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install, where you you can find a copy of the file Zotero.dot.

and searching the entire computer there is no Zotero.dot that I can find even though I'm told it has installed.

I have also changed the word startup folder (just in case it helped) as described elsewhere to ensure that startup contained something - it didn't. Word remains blank with no means of using Zotero, which I've always found a wonderful tool - thank you all!

Can you help?
  • Start by updating Zotero -- your version precedes the release of Mac Word 2016.

Then, note that there are two separate Zotero folders on your computer:
    one is the _data_ folder. That's the one you get to straight from the preferences, and it's (mostly) irrelevant here.

The other one is the profile, where the actual software data is installed. That's the one you want to find. On a default setup with just Standalone, it would be one level above the zotero data folder. There you'll find the extensions folder. Let's start with this.
  • Thank you adamsmith,

Sadly I have to say I have missed the obvious. Thank you for so politely pointing it out. With the update of Zotero word integrated first time. I have the capacity to waste an hour at a computer on the most obvious stuff!

Thanks for your help

Jim
  • Not entirely your fault -- Zotero's auto update was (is?) currently broken on Mac.