Harvard-Reference Format 1 (Author Date) - Wrong citation

When I added a reference in my word document, I got this citation:
(W. Lorenz n.d.) instead of (Lorenz n.d.).

To reproduce this error:
- Zotero: Create a new book reference
- Zotero: Add author's surname: Lorenz
- Zotero: Add author's first name: Wilhelm
- MSWord: Add reference in your word document

I am using zotero 1.0.6, firefox 3, winxp professional.
Thx
Thomas
  • I am willing to bet that this is not the only time you cite Lorenz, and I am also willing to bet that one of those references you have W. Lorenz in your Zotero collection for one of those citations and Wilhelm Lorenz for the other.

Zotero has no way to know that these are the same people, for all Zotero knows one is Wilhelm and the other is Willard. Because of this Zotero is invoking your styles disambiguation feature.

Make sure their names are identical in Zotero and the issue should be resolved.
  • Hi Tjowens,

I am sorry, but you lost your bet.
    I have just one reference with surname "Lorenz" in "My Library". I citated this reference twice in my paper, but this should not be the problem....

It might be possible that you are right in the way that Zotero "thinks" it has two reference with this surname in its library, because I deleted and recreated this reference before I used it in my paper. Maybe zotero did not completely delete this reference? How can I assure/ check a complete delete?
  • to ensure a complete delete, search for "Lorenz" while "My Library" is selected (and make sure thereĀ“s only one).
    The "Remove selectd item" function does _not_ delete an item from your library.

I'd still think Trevor being right is the most likely explanation for this.

Also - update your Zotero - there's no reason not to work with 1.0.9, which contains almost half a year of improvements and bug fixes over 1.0.6