Wiley and Science Direct Journal Abbreviations

Dear All,

I have found that Wiley and Science Direct do not provide journal abbreviations in zotero. I know that these sites do not provide a journal abbreviation in the RIS file. I was wondering if there was some other way of obtaining the abbreviation and including this in the translators. This was available in the for the old pubs.acs.org website, and is currently available in the new translator available in thread http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5227/a-new-acs-translator/#Item_5 . I know a pretty big group of chemists that likes using zotero but this is a pretty big stumbling block (as they use it to export refs in the ACS style).

I know this may be an old problem and there may be no workaround for it. Perhaps the best solution would be to have a feature that translates Publication names into Journal Abbr.

Thanks
smk
  • ACS provides a journal abbreviation on each article page, so it is ease to get JA for ACS journal.
    Wiley and SD did not supply the JA, no way to obtain the JA for Zotero.
    The best way to use JA is to provide a Journal Manager.
  • Maybe Zotero could automatically fill in missing JAs from a repository? It could even use this one. http://www.library.ubc.ca/scieng/coden.html
  • Another thing that could possibly help would be the option to edit a single field in multiple sources. We can sort our sources by the journal in which they are published, so if we could highlight all of those articles and in one swipe put the abbreviation in for all of the sources, then this would greatly decrease the amount of time necessary to manual put in all of the abbreviations.

An option like this is available in iTunes for music. While all the songs are independent entities you can highlight all songs from an artist, or album and change some data that is common to all of the songs like artist, genre, year, etc...
  • batch editing is planned - (you can search the forums on that term and find some discussion)
    getting the abbreviations should be possible from the translator if someone wrote it/updated it, but that would take extra work.
  • The way journal titles should be abbreviated varies from style to style, so robust handling of abbreviations seems to demand per-style lists that provide explicit abbreviations for commonly cited journal titles. This issue has been discussed in another thread. As my recent post to that thread (three hours ago) notes, the new CSL processor that is headed for inclusion in Zotero next year will be able to handle abbreviation lists, if the necessary data (key/value pairs) can be supplied from somewhere.
  • I was just wondering what the latest status is in terms of journal abbreviations? I have browsed through several threads. Mostly, the technical details are discussed. Is there by now an end-user solution for this issue? What I mean is that on some web sites, e.g. ACS (JACS), the journal abbreviation field is not automatically saved and needs to be added by hand. Thanks for any suggestions where to find information on this!
  • short answer is no, there is no current end user solution. Where journal abbr. aren't saved, they need to be inserted manually.
    I'm not sure what the status on this is within csl, but I believe the status is what Frank Bennett writes above - basic support for this is included in the next csl version, which will be in Zotero 2.1 - but then there is still the issue of maintaining abbreviation lists.
  • Thanks for the info!