Back up/Synch worries

First, thank you for such an amazing tool.

As someone who works from three different computers all the time (home, office, laptop) I am concerned about backup-synch issues.

I have read the documentation about installing zotero on a portable drive, datastick, etc., and it seems a good solution, but what if the little thing gets lost, damaged, stolen, etc.? One would want to have a back up to restore things from (or even more than one, just in case).

Sinchronising: if you copy the entire profile folder from one computer to another (so you can retrieve the latest version of your database) you are likely to get bug 278860, or "firefox is already running, but is not responding".

There is probably an easier way of making a back up copy (and bringing it back "to life") that I, with my limited computer knowledge, cannot see? Thanks.
  • http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

There are numerous work-arounds to bug 278860 if you've already encountered it.
  • Thank you for your response. I encountered the problem and did follow the link as you indicated. I did my homework, read all the documentation in there and tried several methods, unsuccessfully so far. I also tried to export my library to Zotero RDF, as suggested in another thread, but was only able to restore it partially (and yes, I did click on both notes and files).

All in all it took me several hours (of wasted time so far). I am afraid I am finding everything too complicated and frustrating. You see, I'm a historian, not a computer expert.

This might sound strange to you but not all of us know what RDF, RIS, SSH, are nor are willing to find and edit profiles.ini files (nor want to have to be bothered finding out where they are).

As an end-of- the-line user, a simple scholar with a phd in history, I would like Zotero to be a tool for the rest of us, not to become one of those "cult" software that only computer geeks can understand and use. Sorry if I sound cranky, I'm probably getting old...
  • I'm sorry for your troubles & sorry if I was a bit concise--it wasn't clear whether you had encountered but 278860 or not & I thought you just needed a shove in the right direction since you were able to quote the bug number.

I'm sure that a bug report of what wasn't retained for the RDF export would be useful.

Please don't forget that Zotero is beta software & that there are plans to implement syncing with a network server. (And I'm sure Mozilla will eventually fix the bug.) Furthermore, the next version will let you specify the location of the Zotero database. This should make it much easier to separate Zotero from the rest of your Firefox profile.

As for profile backup, there are programs which make it easier (linked to from that page) I mentioned earlier.

Since bug 278860 isn't specific to Zotero, you might find a faster, more specific response in the Mozilla forums. You can try to create a new profile (keeping a backup of your old profile) and copy your old settings over:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_settings_to_a_new_profile
  • Hello,
    My computer started a syncronization, but stoped at 52%...I restarted the computer, but it don't go ahead 18%, what can I do? The error report is nÂș 357027284.
    Thank you so much for your attention!

Maria
  • mmalessio: Start a new thread using the "Start a new discussion" button at the top of the page. (This thread is 8 years old.)
This discussion has been closed.