Please help us luddites

Ok, how about for us luddites?

I have tons of notes and quotations, typed in word processor files (.rtf, .doc and .odt, and some .txt format when I thought those were taking up too much space). I also have one big file exported from Palm memos that were exported from webbased articles that I read on plucker.

Ok, so maybe I'm not such a luddite - but nevertheless I have not succeeded in using zotero properly, nor in cataloging those references.

Can Zotero help me? I have files upon files, with the bibliographical info hidden inside them as text, and I'll gladly export it, but how do I have to set it up?
  • Unfortunately, it is difficult to handle non-standard data (and your non-standard data doesn't even sound like it is uniform).

c2bib might help extract bibliographic information (depending how "hidden" it really is).

Other than that, it sounds like you have some copy/paste grunt work to do (or to find someone else to do it for you at minimum wage).

• I am facing the same problem, to which I add a RSI that prevents me from extensive typing, copying and pasting, etc.

Easier than the copy/paste option: print out your references, or have them open in a separate window, go to a really complete library website, locate each item and "zotero it". Not ideal, but definitely faster than copy/pasting each bit of information.
  • edited April 11, 2007
    I think I get it now. Mostly I search for each reference in Google Scholar.