In OO, repeated first char when refreshing after odt is saved as doc.

I've come across an odd little bug in the OpenOffice plugin, running against the latest Zotero snapshot (1.0.7r3919), with Firefox 3.0.3. Here are the steps I went through to reproduce the error:
  1. Create a document in OpenOffice, selecting the Chicago note w/o bibliography style, and selecting the "bookmarks" type (the error is not specific to this style, but I have only tried it with footnotes; I don't know if it affects bibliographies);
  2. Save the document in Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP format;
  3. Quit OpenOffice;
  4. Open the Word-format document again with OpenOffice;
  5. Refresh citations.
When I go through the steps above, I get an extra character at the beginning of every citation that is refreshed. Resaving in Open Document format, quitting, reopening the document and refreshing again does not correct the error; the extra characters have to be removed by hand. (I've tested this with an undoctored version of zotero.jar, it doesn't seem to be due to something that I've done at this end.)
  • It's a bug in OpenOffice's bookmarks/.doc file handling. Zotero 1.5 prevents the use of bookmarks mode with note-based styles, and the new plugin prevents insertion of manual footnotes when using bookmarks mode. Zotero 1.0 and the old plugin don't, but bookmarks mode doesn't really work in the old version of the plugin anyway.