Downgrade

I have been waiting in vain for the Word Plugin for 2004 (Mac) and bought the 2008 but unfortunately, it is a Leopard application and I run Tiger. Therefore, I had no other option than to downgrade to 1.0.8 and after downloading that and re-starting Firefox, Z no longer starts and says "Zotero user data DB version is newer than SQL file".

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can remedy this and return to working on Word 2004 Mac running Tiger or am I screwed and have lost all data?
  • I re-downloaded the latest Sync Preview and it is working again. The last problem I would still like to see resolved: I would like to revert to a Sync preview version and plugin that does not require Leopard and Word 2008.

Any suggestions?
  • You'll need to wait for a version of the new plugin that's compatible with Word 2004. I don't have an estimate for when that will be, but we're hoping to get it out soon.

In the meantime, you could always try OpenOffice 3.0, though you'll need to patch it to fix a bug in OO3.0 on OS X. Details on the Sync Preview page.
  • Dan,

Thank you for your help. It is a bit cumbersome to download a third document generation software (I have Word and Pages), plus a patch to fix the bug while waiting for the Tiger compatible plug-in. I have exported my library to Endnote Web in the mean time and will have to work with that till you release the plug-in I need. I will keep an eye out for that and hope to restore Zotero.
    Out of curiosity, I seem to be the only one who uses the latest Zotero with OSX 10.4 and Word 04 or am I.....?

Thanks for your suggestion again and Happy Holidays!
  • The Sync Preview isn't the latest Zotero version—1.0.8, which works perfectly well without Word 2004, is. The 1.5 Sync Preview is just a test version, and we haven't added back Word 2004 support yet.

If you're exporting anyway, you can certainly just export from 1.5, back up and clear your Zotero data directory, and import into 1.0.8. It's just not a recommended method, and you'll lose any links to references in existing documents, but it should work as well as exporting to anything else.
  • Dan,
    That is a great suggestion. I backed up my library (exported it to the desktop) and uninstalled Zotero, restarted Firefox and downloaded 1.0.8 but Zotero still tells me that "Zotero user data DB version is newer than SQL file" and won't start up.
    What did I miss here? This would be a great solution and I could stay with Z.
  • You need to (back up and) remove the old data directory—uninstalling Zotero doesn't remove any data. See Troubleshooting Zotero Data.
  • Dan,

Thanks again for the help. My brain is fried and I will definitely give this a shot tomorrow.

RMJ
  • Dan,

I finally got to rid my hard drive of all things Zotero and re-installed the new 1.0.9 version. It worked! But it seems like it is just not meant to be as I do not have the styles tab in my preferences and when I go to the styles repository of Zotero, it says that most are only available to those using Sync Preview. I just did a 360 and landed back exactly where I started. And now I don't even have the basic styles.

Any suggestions?
  • What style do you need? The styles that require 1.5 are equivalent to other styles that can be installed in 1.0. If there's a style that you want, look at its XML code to see the style upon which it is based, and then return to the style list and install that one.
  • Dan,
    I would like "Neurosurgery" as a style. Once I have and XML equivalent, how do I install it in 1.0.9?
    Thanks
  • As in, "Journal of Neurosurgery"? That style can just be installed into 1.0.9 using the [Install] link.

If you mean "Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry", then you can just install Vancouver (which should be installed automatically into 1.0.9 on upgrade) and use that, as JNNP uses the Vancouver style, and using the JNNP style is equivalent to using Vancouver.
  • Actually, I want "Neurosurgery".
    I don't see anywhere the ability to import styles in 1.0.9. I went into preferences and don't see the styles tab.....
  • Where is the Neurosurgery style you're referring to? Not on the styles page, as far as I can see...

You can import standalone CSL files into 1.0.9 just by making sure they have a .csl extension and dragging them into Zotero.
  • edited December 24, 2008
    I got it from another website.
  • edited December 24, 2008
    I got it from another website.
    Is it by any chance an Endnote style? Support for those is only implemented in the Sync Previews (i.e. they can't be used with Zotero 1.0.9).

Note that you can request a new Neurology CSL style (CSL is the format Zotero natively uses), see: http://www.zotero.org/support/requesting_styles