No Translator icon in any address bar

I have been using zotero since a while without any problem. I recently moved the Zotero folder to another location for back-up reasons. Since a couple of days, I can't see the translator icon in any address bar anymore (e.g. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcb.12830/full). I tried all steps of the translator troubleshouting page, but without success. How can I get the translator icon back in the address bars? I am using Zotero stand-alone 4.0.26.4 in windows 7, and firefox version 38.0. Should I change something to the preferences - data directory?
  • Move the 'translators' folder in your data directory out of the way, and then restart Zotero.

If that works, could you ZIP up the old directory and email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?

(This is equivalent to doing Reset Translators in the Advanced pane, but seeing the original directory may help us narrow down what's causing this for some people.)
  • (Well, this is if you didn't actually try the Reset Translators step on that page. If you did, go into the 'translators' folder and let us know how many files there are in the folder.)
  • It didn't work. A new 'translators' folder has been installed by restarting zotero but it was empty first (now 59 items). The original 'translators' folder has 462 items.
  • I have an 'Enter Reader View' icon in the address bar since a while. I hope that doesn't conflict with the translator icon?
  • If you're running security software, try disabling it temporarily. The newly created translators folder should be populated with the same set of files (or more).

No, Firefox's new Reader View has no effect on Zotero.
  • I'd also try reinstalling the latest version of Zotero over your current version. We don't normally recommend that, but it sounds like some weird things are happening for you.
  • 462 items now in the translators folder, but no translator icon in the address bar.
    And I reinstalled Zotero Standalone just before I posted this thread.
  • OK, that's fine, then. Do you get an icon in Firefox if you close Standalone first? If not, provide a Debug ID for a page load that doesn't show the icon where you expect it.
  • Standalone closed, but no icons.
    Debug ID: D1085087501
  • That debug output is from Standalone... I need the debug output for loading a page in Firefox with Standalone closed.
  • Standalone closed now. But Zotero doesn't log anything apparently?? Even though Zotero extension is enabled, as is the debug output logging.
  • If you can open Zotero within Firefox and you load a webpage while debug logging is enabled, it will definitely log something.
  • (And if you can't open Zotero in Firefox and view your library there, there's some other sort of problem.)
  • Solved! Wrong reference to folders. Must have had something to do with the move of the folders.

Thanks!
  • I woke up today to the same problem, capture icon in the address bar does not appear in any site anymore.
    For example: https://www.worldcat.org/title/navigating-the-trilemma-capital-flows-and-monetary-policy-in-china/oclc/4933578953&referer=brief_results

I have gone thru all the steps in https://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues

Here is the Report ID: 362932934
    Firefox is 38.0.5; Zotero is 4.0.27

Thanks in advance for the help...
  • https://www.zotero.org/blog/zotero-4-0-27-streamlined-saving-easier-bibliography-language-selection-and-more/
  • Thank you but I could not see anything helpful in that link?

I have been using Zotero for along time now; last night it was OK, the problem appeared just this morning.
  • As that describes and shows, the translator icon has moved from the address bar. Are you saying you're not seeing any Zotero icon in the toolbar?
  • Yes, the Zotero capture icon does not appear as of this morning.
  • Sorry, we're talking past each other. Could you please confirm that you have understood that the Zotero capture icon appears in a different location now? I.e. that you will not see any Zotero icon in the address bar ever?
  • So, Zotero has changed last night!! Now I see.

There maybe a lot of users out there not yet informed about the change; putting a notice in the login page could help Zotero helpers save a lot of energy.

Thank you very much...
  • There is a guidance panel that would have appeared first time you started Firefox after the update. There's also a post at the top of this forum.