Book, Chapter, Page

Hi!

I work with ancient sources, and I want put in my citation Book, Chapter and page number or column number, like that: Platon, Republica V, 4, p. 23, or Eusebius, Historia ecclesiastica, VI, V, 3-4, col. 45-46.

How can I do that?

It is posible?
  • I'm not sure if this give you all you want, but have you clicked on the arrowhead beside "Page" on the insert citation window?

It opens a drop down box with a number of options (book, chapter, column, figure, paragraph, section, etc.

If that doesn't do what you need, please post back.
  • I try this options, but I want select 2 or 3 options like:

first option: Book or chapter, or part, or section, or paragraph etc.
    and
    second option I want be: Page or column

One analogical problem is the biblic citation. I want make a citation like

Luke, capter 2, verset 45 (Lk. 2, 45)

If I select one option: book, chapter, column, figure, paragraph, section, the second can be just manualy?
  • So it sounds like you want to include two or more different locators in a single citation: (1) the set used for the ancient writer you are working with (with book/chapter/section/paragraph numbering) and (2) the page or column number. Is this right?

Unless I'm doing something wrong too, it looks like this isn't supported as such in the current Word plugin. You can only enter a single locator. However, if I'm not mistaken this is one of those problems that is solved reasonably well by just manually editing the citation (using the 'Show Editor...' button in the Word Plugin, just add what you want to the end of the citation). This also has the advantage that you don't have to live with the default abbreviation for the locator you want (chapt., sect., col., ect.). You can list your locator with no abbreviaitions, as is most often done when citing classical works.

The only disadvantage is that Zotero doesn't 'understand' the extra data you've added, so may not be able, for example, to convert it to a different citation style.

Do report back if this seems to work, and let us know if it causes any other problems (I don't have much experience with edited citations over the long term).
  • Is work, but how can list your locator with no abbreviaitions.

Thanks!
  • Just don't put anything in the locator box. Add it all by means of the editor. Then you control exactly what is there, abbreviations or no, multiple locators, etc. I just tried it and it seems to work for me.
  • Thanks!
    Now a try to put the text at suffix, and work.
  • What can I do for change the order in my citation for "Suffix" and page number.

Acctualy now if a type something at "Suffix" and put a number at page at citation appear: Author, Title... page number and suffix text.

I want change the order for appearce at citation: Author, Title... suffix text and page number.

It is posible?
  • In the citation window, if you click on "Show Editor..." (in the lower left corner) you can rearrange and edit the citation.

Does that do what you want?

NOTE:
    However...and I'm NOT SURE on this, but I THINK once you edit a citation it won't necessarily update if you modify the information in the right pane in Zotero.
  • Thanks!

You have right!

But if I want change the style doesn't make the change to citation modified.

If I can change the order between suffix and page number, when I change the style all my citation will be in the new style.
  • PS. I need change the style when I sent article for publication.
    Every review have particulary requirements.
    If I change the style can sent the article in format required.
  • Right. It only works to manually edit the citations if you DON'T intend to change the citation style, which is a problem for you. Zotero and the Citation Style Language which handles its citation formatting were designed to be able to facilitate changing styles, as you maybe have worked out. But since the styles and the Word plugin (so far) have no way to 'understand' multiple locators, they are not able to present them differently (or even maintain your changes) when you switch styles, as far as I know. The method we've worked ut above is a hack to give you multiple locators, but it won't work if you change styles. And as far as I know there is no way to change the order of the page and the suffix.

The best you can hope for (for now) if you really have to write something without knowing what style it needs to end up in, is to add the extra information in the suffix (so it doesn't get lost), then manually edit it into each citation with multiple locators when you are all done. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • You have right!

Thanks!
  • "The method we've worked ut above is a hack to give you multiple locators, but it won't work if you change styles."

I want try this option when is available.

Thanks in advanced!
  • edited December 16, 2009
    I return to the same question with regard to primary sources, I want to include two or more different locators in a single citation:
    1. Book, Chapter, Section and
    2. page number or column number,
    like that: Platon, Republica V, 4, p. 23, or Eusebius, Historia ecclesiastica, VI, V, 3-4, col. 45-46.

It is posible to duplicate the current location of the page, etc. (right) and use the first requirements for first and second for other?
  • It would be useful to handle ancient texts. EndNote has this as a type. A generic format for citing ancient texts does exist. This would probably handle 75-80% of all citations. The rest could be done manually.

I use these frequently, usually 2-5 ancient sources per paper. I do all these citations manually.

It would be nice to have this more directly supported in the application.

As always, thanks for all your work.