COinS / conference papers imported incorrectly by Zotero

As I understand - correct me if I am wrong - COinS supports conference papers, if you set rft.genre=proceeding (though it is not clear how you can then set Conference Name, Location etc).

Still, even if I set rft.genre=proceeding, Zotero imports the citation incorrectly as a Journal Paper, and I have to modify the different values manually, in order to convert it to a Conference Paper (within Zotero).

Is that because COinS doesn't support Conference Papers after all, or is there another way to get around it - a way that I am not aware of?

Thanks.
  • I believe both OpenURL and Zotero support the proceeding genre.

The current version of Zotero checks first to see if the format is a book:
    info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:book

Then it looks to see if the genre is a conference or proceeding. If it is, then it should be typed as a conferencePaper.
  • Then, I am not sure why it wouldn't work correctly with my example:

Trying to format a citation as a conference paper, I used COinS generator. I selected the Journals and Articles tab, but it was not clear how to distinguish journal from conference papers.

The generated code described the citation as a Journal Paper (rft.genre=article) which didn't suit me. So I manually changed that to 'proceeding'.

the html code, after that change looked like this
    <span
    class="Z3988"

title="ctx_ver=Z39.88-2004&rft_val_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Ajournal&rfr_id=info%3Asid%2Focoins.info%3Agenerator&rft.genre=proceeding&rft.atitle=Paper Title&rft.title=Adaptive+Hypermedia+2004+Conference&rft.stitle=AH2004&rft.date=2004&rft.spage=255&rft.epage=264&rft.au=A+Author1&rft.au=B+Author2">
    A. Author1 and B. Author2, "Paper Title" presented at the Adaptive
    Hypermedia (AH) 2004 Conference, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 23-26 August
    2004, pp. 255-264.
    </span>

Still, when I tried to import that specific citation using Zotero, it was not saved as a Conference Paper. It was saved as a Journal Paper.

I could provide the url of this page to check the code and/or give it a shot yourself, to see how Zotero behaves.

Thanks
  • Your example isn't working because you have info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:journal, rather than info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:book.

Fix this, and Zotero should correctly type the resource.

I don't think the OpenURL spec specifies genre/fmt mappings. So, I suppose Zotero should probably do what you're expecting, rather than force it into the journal type because that's what you have in fmt.
  • great! changing fmt to book worked.

I also had to make another change:
    the conference paper title had to be attached to rft.title - from rft.atitle, which was used for Journal papers.

the final html code, after which Zotero was able to import the citation as a Conference Paper was this:

<span
    class="Z3988"

title="ctx_ver=Z39.88-2004&rft_val_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Abook&rfr_id=info%3Asid%2Focoins.info%3Agenerator&rft.genre=proceeding&rft.title=Paper Title&rft.stitle=AH2004&rft.date=2004&rft.spage=255&rft.epage=264&rft.au=M+Author1&rft.au=K+Author2">
    M. Author1 and K. Author2, "Paper Title" presented at the Adaptive
    Hypermedia (AH) 2004 Conference, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 23-26 August
    2004, pp. 255-264.
    </span>

One last question: Is there a way of adding Conference Name or Location via COinS - so that Zotero imports it? or should I do it manually?

Thanks
  • I don't think conference name/location is in the OpenURL spec & a quick grep through the Zotero code doesn't seem to show any automatic way to find it.
  • Using 'rft.title' to capture the paper title within a ContextObject for a conference paper is incorrect. 'rft.title' is synonymous with 'rft.btitle' - the book title - and is deprecated (ie was included for backwards compatibility with OpenURL v0.1). For a journal article 'rft.title' is synonymous with 'rft.jtitle' - the journal title. For both journal and book formats the article/paper/chapter is 'rft.atitle'. If Zotero translates 'rft.title' into the paper title this is wrong.
  • edited March 21, 2007
    If Zotero translates 'rft.title' into the paper title this is wrong.
    It does, for genre=conference.