Strange character added before citation numer in APS style

I'm very happy that finally Zotero supports APS citation style. However, I found a problem when testing this.

When choosing APS style, the in-line citation showed " "before the citation number. E.g. instead of "[1]" inside the text, it shows " [1]" in the Editor before the insertion. When clicking ok, it shows " [1]"

No such a problem when inserting a bibliography at the end of the article.

Does anyone know what's wrong?
  • That style uses a UTF-8 non-breaking space before the citation number (included because the space is mandatory & including it in the style would allow easy switching between the superscripted APS style which has no space). It works for me in OO.o & HTML citations.

However, obviously some program is having problems with the unicode character. How are you using the citation style?
  • edited October 15, 2008
    Correction: the local style works for me in OO.o. I can replicate your problem in the style from the website.

A work-around is to manually download the style from:
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/aps/dev
    Save it with a .csl extension & then open it in firefox. Confirm you'd like to over-write the copy of the style you already have.

I do not know why the automatic install link does not work.
  • Thanks for the reply.
    I followed the instruction above. But it still doesn't work with MS Word. Still have these strange characters in front of the in-line citation number. Check this screenshot.
    http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2691/testtl0.gif
  • I've fixed Unicode support for style auto-install in the latest 1.0 branch build. The fix will be in 1.0.8.

wildeny: In the meantime, before downloading the style manually, go to View -> Character Encoding and make sure Unicode is selected (though Auto-Detect -> Universal should also work).
  • Thank you, Dan. Now it's working fine.

When I first tried the reinstallation (with Unicode encoding), it didn't solve the problem. However, after I rebooted the PC, the problem disappeared. I guess that would be the case for noksagt's solution too. Maybe I should restart Firefox or something to make this take effect.

Thanks for all your help.