Problems accessing my library's site

I've got the sync preview version of Zotero installed. This past weekend, I started having problems accessing the library at my university (www.lib.umn.edu). All other pages load OK, but when I try to go to the libraries site, the browser will hang--the status bar in the lower right hand corner will repeatedly flash like it's loading, almost like it's refreshing the page every second or so. When I uninstall Zotero, everything loads fine. I'm using Firefox 3.0.3 and Windows Vista Ultimate. Any ideas?
  • Take a look in the Proxies pane of the Zotero preferences. You'll likely find an entry for your library site. Let us know here what the Hostname and Scheme are, and then remove the line. After that, you should be able to browse the site again. You may not be able to use proxy auto-detection on your library site until we figure out what the problem is and fix it.
  • I posted on another discussion that when I tried to go to/use google I would be redirected to my university's proxy. Rather than removing the proxy, I turned off the proxy auto-detection, and now I can successfully navigate to google again.

Here is the hostname and scheme as requested

Hostname: Multi-Site
    Scheme: http://%h.ezproxy1.lib.ou.edu/%p
  • mckrimma: If you double-click the proxy entry, what is "Automatically associate new hosts" set to and what are the entries in the Hostname box?
  • The automatically associate new hosts box is checked, and the following entries are located in the Hostname box:

arjournals.annualreviews.org
    books.google.com
    content.ebscohost.com
    cps.sagepub.com
    docs.google.com
    doi.wiley.com
    download.interscience.wiley.com
    dx.doi.org
    ejournals.ebsco.com
    ejscontent.ebsco.com
    firstsearch.oclc.org
    fullaccess.foreignaffairs.org
    galenet.galegroup.com
    garfield.library.upenn.edu
    global.factiva.com
    heinonline.org
    infotrac.galegroup.com
    jch.sagepub.com
    journals.cambridge.org
    links.jstor.org
    maps.google.com
    muse.jhu.edu
    openurl.ebscohost.com
    pdfserve.informaworld.com
    prq.sagepub.com
    ptx.sagepub.com
    scholar.google.com
    search.ebscohost.com
    usearch.cc.columbia.edu
    web.ebscohost.com
    www.ciaonet.org
    www.foreignaffairs.org
    www.google.com
    www.heinonline.org
    www.informaworld.com
    www.igentaconnect.com
    www.journals.cambridge.org
    www.journals.uchicago.edu
    www.jstor.org
    www.lexisnexis.com
    www.mitpressjournals.org
    www.sciencedirect.com
    www.sipa.columbia.edu
    www.standford.edu
    www3.interscience.wiley.com

And finally, the entry in the scheme box is:
    http://%h.ezproxy1.lib.ou.edu/%p

Thanks for all of your help so far!
  • edited February 12, 2009
    I've been trying to figure this one out too. I was able to determine that it seems that everything functions normally until you browse to section of our website that has a proxied page. For example, we have proxied our databases page from our library homepage here: http://kml.uindy.edu (look for databases on the left side). Once you click that link and log in, Zotero automatically adds the library site info into the list of hosts and applies it when you revisit the homepage. I don't know if that helps anything... but it seems like a way to avoid the issue would be to have a field to exclude certain hosts in a list from being proxied at all. Is this possibly a solution?
  • Has anyone else encountered this issue or know of a solution?
  • edited May 10, 2009
    I do not know a solution, but I have also encountered the problem with my library web page. The page url is library.tamiu.edu.

However, removing the proxy listing (as described in an earlier post) allows me to log on the web site. I am not sure what using the proxy set up does, but at least the library web site is usable.

Hopefully with more know problem sites, the maintainers will be able to isolate the issue.
  • We have had the same problem with library.drexel.edu being added to the list of associated sites. It hasn't happened often but causes some users to go through our EZProxy server to get to the library's homepage, which should not require authentication. Removing that entry in the hostnames list restores normal function.

Any advice on how to avoid this happening would be appreciated.