SOLVED the Tag import problem from Endnote RIS

According to this site http://aubib.wikidot.com/ris-format an export using RefMan RIS Export style needs to assign the following characters before each keyword:
KW - Your keyword
[where "your keyword" is, well, your keyword :)]
Notice, there's two spaces before the dash and one space after it. Trouble is Endnote has a bug in this handy export filter as others have pointed out and it assigns this tag to your whole list of keywords, which generates the results you'd expect, namely one big keyword for all of the keywords in each of your entries! Totally useless.

The solution is actually pretty simple. Make a copy of your Endnote database and work on the copy of that database because you might cause irreversible data changes that could bring your grief.

Using the "change text..." command under the edit toolbar in Endnote do the following (Depending on how you separated your keywords adjust mutatis mutandis): 1) Select Keyword from the "In" drop down box (very very critical!!). 2) Insert a carriage return in the "search for" box from the little "insert special" button (notice that these instructions are for keywords separated by a carriage return; if you have it separated by a comma and space, then enter a comma and a space in the "search for" box, etc.), 3) in the "change text to" box enter a carriage return whether you're replacing text with a carriage return or not (very important! otherwise it will stick it on one line), then type "KW - " without the quotation marks; that is KW, two spaces, followed by a minus sign, and then one additional space. Hit the change button and look carefully before accepting the change; make sure it is just changing keywords. Now when you look in your preview window, assuming the export filter in question is selected as your output style, you should see what is a lovely sight, namely:
KW - your first keyword
KW - your second keyword
KW - your third keyword, etc.
This will now import correctly if you've followed these steps correctly. I'm not sure if anyone else has solved this problem and posted it, but I didn't see an entry. So, I thought I'd post the solution for everyone's benefit. Thanx again to the developers who have brought us this magical program!
  • We've put in a workaround for this in the RIS translator, but the new version requires additional features added since 1.0.7 and hasn't been pushed to existing clients. 1.0.8 will include the updated version.

In the meantime, a solution like this should work well.