problem importing keywords from endnote

I followed the instructions on your website for importing data from endnote into zotero. On this page:

http://www.zotero.org/blog/making-the-switch-to-zotero/

You say that one should convert to refman format first. However here

http://www.zotero.org/documentation/getting_stuff_into_your_library

you say that one should use bibtex format. Which is correct?

Anyway, I tried both and had the same problem both times. The text file exported from Endnote contains a keywords section that looks like this:

Keywords = {Adopted Children
Adoption
analysis
Cognition
cognitive abilities
Colorado
Fathers
Female
Genes
genetics
Human
INDIVIDUALS
Language
Male
Memory
molarity
Mothers
multivariate analysis
Parents
Processing speed},

when imported into Zotero, it doesn't recognize the newline as a delimiter between the keywords and the above gets converted into one long tag containing all the keywords. If I manually put a "," between each keyword it works fine, however this is not feasible as I have a few thousand references I would like to import. Is there some way I can get my keywords correctly from Endnote into Zotero?
  • Importing keywords like that in BibTeX works for me. Please make sure you have the latest version of the BibTeX translator by clicking on Reset Translators and Styles in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs. (This is only necessary for the BibTeX translator, which isn't being pushed to 1.0 builds due to its size.)

What does the RIS (RefMan) version look like? According to the spec, it should put tags on separate lines, each beginning with "KW".
  • I mentioned this a long time ago here, but Endnote's RIS export has had this bug forever. I suggest you adjust for it.
  • Dan - I tried exactly what you suggested, reset the translators and then re-imported the bib tex export with the same results, Zotero ignored the newline delimiter and munged all the keywords into one, except the ones containing commas.

The RIS version looks exactly the same as the bibtex version WRT to the keywords, I guess this is a bug in Endnote as bdarcus suggests?

If you need me to send you any of my export files so that you can test with them or if there are any other import/export steps I should try please let me know.
  • rosa: Please post a single complete RIS entry that isn't imported correctly and a single complete BibTeX entry, and we'll take a look.
  • edited July 16, 2008
    Dan, excellent, thanks!

Here's a BibText entry:

[Example moved to ticket]

And here is the same entry, from the RIS export:

[Example moved to ticket]
  • Created tickets for the RIS issue and the BibTeX issue and moved the sample files there. Thanks.