Bug: Filename not updating when adding snapshot of PDF

Hi, I have a bug report for you (I did a quick search to see if its already noted but I couldn't see anything similar, and hope I'm doing this in the right place. If not please let me know where to post this). Its very minor and doesn't effect usability, but it could cause a lot of confusion.

Software Version:
Firefox 3.0, Zotero 1.0.6

Description:
Upon adding snapshots of PDFs for entries (building my library now so have added a lot in a row if that makes a difference, all snapshots have been PDFs), the longest filename remains resident on the description panel (the most right hand part). For example I took a snapshot of one publication and the file imported appears as "a_file_with_a_really_long_filename.pdf", this I rename to "content.pdf" which works correctly. I then add another snapshop, say "smaller_filename.pdf", yet the name of the file on the description panel remains as "a_file_with_a_really_long_filename.pdf". If I rename the new snapshot file the correct file name appears in the dialog box, and opening any of the said files will open the correct one. When I added a snapshot to an even longer filename the description panel updated to the longer filename. All other details change correctly (source URL etc), just the filename at the top does not update accordingly.

Will be happy to provide any other information as needed. Hope this helps, Zotero is a damn good program.
  • Just to clarify. Are you taking snapshots of PDFs instead of storing them as attachments?
  • I am experiencing a similar bug: Zotero 1.0.7, FF 3.0. It doesn't matter whether the attachment is a snapshot or a stored pdf.

It is related name length; manually edited attachment names over a certain length *when they do not contain spaces* appear to be "persistent" in the right hand pane until Firefox is closed. They are only ever replaced by other long names.

To reproduce this bug, 1) make an attachment with a long name (no spaces), such as "Gutenberg_Text_Fundamental_Principles_of_Metaphysics.txt" then rename it to a short name. Or, 2) select a middle pane item, press '+' to show all your attachments, and scroll down through your collection. when you hit an attachment with a long name, that name will persist until you hit another attachment with a long name. Names of attachments in between that are short will not show.
  • cartesian: That's what we needed (after many previous reports that we could never reproduce). Fixed on the branch. Thanks.