Could Not Save on cambridge online

Using Zot 1.0.6 on FF3. Cambridge online service here: http://journals.cambridge.org.

Many thanks.
  • I'm having problems with Cambridge as well, e.g. http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?aid=1316776

I tried resetting the translators so I should have the latest translator version. (Zotero 1.0.6 on FF3)
  • fixed. it should work in the next update. let me know if there are still any issues after the update.
  • The new translator is now available. Your copy of Zotero should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Now in the General pane of the Zotero prefs.
  • Did you update your translators? It doesn't have anything to do with the dev XPI version.
  • How do I do that?
  • edited July 8, 2008
    See my post above.

But I get a Could Not Save error on the issue linked from that page and the article 1316776 linked above too.
  • Just tried the two links and they both worked fine on my machine and two other machines here in the office. Not sure what to make of that.
  • We just pushed out another fix that should resolve the additional issue. As always, your copy of Zotero should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Now in the General pane of the Zotero prefs.

To open the preferences pane click the gear icon, this will open the actions dropdown menu. Select preferences from that dropdown menu.
  • Thanks finally, it works

Johan
  • Hm, it's still not working for me. I did the updating but still get error messages on both the Lichenologist and BioSocieties journals.
    Any ideas? Is it working for you, Dan?
  • Is it working for you, Dan?
    Yes.
  • I can't get it to grab the pdf for me though.
  • Zotero won't grab the PDF if you're not accessing the Cambridge Journals through a subscription (e.g. on campus or via a university proxy) because the PDF won't even be available. Are you able to download the PDF manually?
  • I have a subscription and can download it manually

j
  • I'm not sure if this is a related problem but I found that in addition to not being able to save items from Cambridge Online I also can no longer (IIRC this used to work) save items from IngentaConnect. To make sure that it's not just a general problem with my install I tested sciencemag and the BMJ which both worked. I also tried uninstalling and re-installing Zotero which didn't help.
    Can anyone help? Thanks!
  • Ingenta Connect says they just released a new design for their webpage, which might be causing you problems. I just tried the site and it worked for me. Was there a specific entry that isn't working you could post a link for?
  • For example <http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/beech/spp/2008/00000035/00000005/art00001>; or <http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bpl/anth/2008/00000024/00000003/art00002>;

I can't confirm whether I was able to import those specific articles at an earlier time but I'm pretty sure some IC articles did work.
  • I'm not having any problems getting those articles to work.

Make sure that Zotero is trying to use the correct translator for that site. If you hover your cursor over the Icon in the URL window it should read "Save to Zotero (IngentaConnect)" for those 2 links above.

If it doesn't, post what it says.

Otherwise, you might be running into a conflict with other firefox add-ons. Try going into Tools -> Add-ons and disabling everything but Zotero and see if that works. If you can figure out which add-on is causing the problem, please post that here too.
  • Acrymble, thanks for your troubleshooting help. I have found the culprit: It's the Torbutton addon (version 1.2.0rc5) that messes up the translator.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2275

Disabling it made all the sites functional again.
    Harald.
  • confirm the Torbutton issue - also messes up SSRN translator, both work fine after disabling torbutton. Thanks.
  • Thanks—I've added Torbutton as an incompatible extension.

For what it's worth, the line that causes the error seems to be

if(aProgress) {
    DOMWindow = aProgress.DOMWindow;
    }

at the top of torbutton_check_progress() in torbutton.js. I haven't looked into the cause beyond that, but we use a hidden browser for some translators, and that line seems to cause a Permission Denied error when attempting to access it.
  • I have just downloaded zotero 1.07 and can't save from cambridge journals online. Get could not save item on the abstract of a journal article. Using Firefox 3.03. I've disabled all add-ons apart from zotero. Zotero doesnt work accessing it through Athens or through VPN and my university library catalogue. Can you help?
  • I had no trouble with Cambridge Journals Online. Is this a problem with a specific record or with all records? Are you getting a error message or are their simply no icons in the location bar? If it is a problem with a individual record please post both a link to the record and the search criteria necessary to find it.
  • I have the icon to save and when I click on it I the the error. I've tried it with a couple of entries. I'm trying to mark an abstract - the link is http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online - from a search result. Might it be because I don't have full access to the journal article - only to the abstract?
  • sorry, the search terms were: mood eating behaviour attention and it was the abstract from the top hit which was:

Mood eating behaviour and attention
    J. M. G. WILLIAMS, H. HEALY, J. EADE, G. WINDLE, P. J. COWEN, M. W. GREEN and P. DURLACH
    Psychological Medicine, Volume 32, Issue 03, Apr 2002, pp 469-481
    doi: 10.1017/S0033291701005177, Published online by Cambridge University Press 07 May 2002
  • PS could save OK with a different source
  • "Mood eating behaviour and attention" also worked fine for me. Not sure what the issue is, but as long as it is confined to this individual record it is probably not of particular concern.
  • Sorry - didn't make it clear - get the same problem with anothe CJO article
    search terms: I'm not bad for my age, trying to save abstract for first hit, I also get the same error.
  • A fix for the Torbutton incompatibility mentioned above is now available for testing.