Repeat Citations (Chicago Manual of Style) in MS Word Alpha

This is just a quick note to let you guys know that the MS Word Alpha currently does not handle repeat citations correctly, at least for Chicago Manual of Style. (Only the first time a source is cited is the full citation used; each subsequent citation uses as little information as possible, usually last name and page number, or full name if more than one author with the same last name, or name and title if author wrote more than one source.) Great work so far!
  • Thanks for the note — we're aware that Ibid isn't working in footnotes. I've added this to the Known Issues page.
  • Just to be clear, Ibid (same as previous) and generic repeats (cited before, but not the same as the previous citation) will need work.

Thanks!
  • So is there any progress on this yet? I notice the last comment was posted back in Jan 2007. I tried using the Chicago formatting. Ibid is done well. But for subsequent citations, it gives more than author's last name (even if there is no other author with the same last name); similarly, it mentions the title of the book always (even when one refers to only one book by an author).
  • what you're seeing are some limitations of how complicated Zotero can make the routine for subsequent citations - right now it has a standardized form in which it prints the short version of the author, the short title, and (if given) the locator (i.e. page # or section for the citation). So contrary to CMoS and some other similar styles it cannot leave the title away if there's only one title by the author (in any case, if I remember correctly, the handling of this is optional in CMoS).

That you're seeing more than the author's last name is because of this:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/given_name_disambiguation

So yes, there is progress, the issues you're seeing is entirely unrelated to the one in this post.
  • Thanks for the reply!

I'll try removing the line for disambiguation. That should do for me.
  • The latest CMS recommends including short version of title in subsequent citation:

16.42The basic short form

The most common short form consists of the last name of the author and the main title of the work cited, usually shortened if more than four words, as in examples 4–6 below. For more on author’s name, see 16.44. For more on short titles, see 16.45. For more on journal articles, see 17.179.

1. Samuel A. Morley, Poverty and Inequality in Latin America: The Impact of Adjustment and Recovery (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1995), 24–25.
    2. Regina M. Schwartz, “Nationals and Nationalism: Adultery in the House of David,” Critical Inquiry 19, no. 1 (1992): 131–32.
    3. Ernest Kaiser, “The Literature of Harlem,” in Harlem: A Community in Transition, ed. J. H. Clarke (New York: Citadel Press, 1964).
    4. Morley, Poverty and Inequality, 43.
    5. Schwartz, “Nationals and Nationalism,” 138.
    6. Kaiser, “Literature of Harlem,” 189, 140.