Zotero standalone 4.0.8. and 4.0.11 crashes in Fedora 19 Linux when any menu is selected

Zotero standalone in Fedora 19 64 bit starts OK and when any menu
is selected it crashes immediatelly.

with the following error message:

###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /builds/slave/rel-m-rel-xr_l64_bld-000000000/build/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /builds/slave/rel-m-rel-xr_l64_bld-000000000/build/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
  • I have the same problem, both on Fedora 19 and OpenSuse 12.3. Any attempt to render a menu causes an immediate and very ungraceful crash!
  • Anybody there?!
  • edited September 12, 2013
    OK - I've resolved it.

I am using KDE 4.11 on OpenSuse 12.3 64 bit.

If you set the GTK2 theme to oxygen-gtk, this causes a crash when attempting to render a menu in Zotero, although all other Firefox extensions are unaffected. Setting the GTK2 theme to Adwaita fixes the problem.

So, looks like it's a KDE issues rather than Zotero!
  • thanks for sharing that - I don't know for sure, but I don't think devs typically test Zotero on most distros, the default is probably ubuntu or mint, so things like that can happen.
  • @DixieCom, good finding - thanks it helped, I have been changing oxygen-gtk to qtcurve and now zotero works OK.
  • I am using KDE 4.11 on OpenSuse 13.1 64 bit. I checked /etc/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc, both has gtk-theme-name = Adwaita. I still have the same error
  • It helps me a lot, thanks!
  • @sean_1985 - That's because Zotero apparently uses GTK2 rather than GTK3. I changed the GTK2 settings to Adwaita and the problem went away.

I'd also suggest using the Configure Desktop GUI to change your GTK settings rather than the config files in /etc/... You can find the settings under Application Appearance --> GTK.
  • Had the same problem here, changing the theme to Adwaita seems to have fixed it.