Zotero BLOCKS my ability to import a pubmed reference into ENDNOTE

I use Endnote for my references for medical articles. When I click in PUBMED to import to endnote ZOTERO steals the import and and does not allow it to go to Endnote. Is there a way to turn this off in Zotero, or do I just have to uninstall Zotero in order to use ENDNOTE?
Thank you
Soram
  • If you want Endnote to import RIS files you can switch off "Use Zotero for downloaded RIS/Refer files" preference in the Zotero's preference pane.
  • I have the same problem. I am using zotero to organize a database of websites, but *not* to collect new academic references or import old ones from Endnote. I am working on a team project, and can't abandon the large Endnote database we all use. I checked the preference options, as you suggest. Choosing "use zotero for downloaded RIS/Refer files" doesn't make it possible to download references into Endnote. There is no option for Endnote. What to do? Thanks.
    Brenda
  • Generally when websites offer a "Download to Endnote" button they are actually allowing you to download RIS files, so un-checking the preference should keep Zotero from intercepting your Endnote downloads. Could you post a link to a record that is still misbehaving?
  • Try going to the Firefox prefs and looking in Content->File Types->Manage (or the Applications pane in Firefox 3). As long as Zotero isn't intercepting the file, this isn't a Zotero issue. How Firefox handles the file otherwise is up to you.
  • I tried Dan's suggestion, and didn't see anything related to Zotero there. As for Tjowen's suggestion, there's something weird going on. To start fresh, I closed Firefox, Zotero and Endnote, opened them again, and then tried downloading a citation from scholar.google.com. At first, with "use Zotero for RIS files" checked (default , I think), the citation went into Zotero. I then unchecked it, and it still went into Zotero. Then I checked it again, and this time clicking on "download citation" brought up "citmgr," the Endnote import file, as it should. Although this may be some sort of workaround, clearly we shouldn't have to do this! (I'm using Firefox 2. Should I upgrade to 3?)
  • I tried Dan's suggestion, and didn't see anything related to Zotero there
    You won't—Zotero doesn't show up there. What I meant is that, as long as Zotero's not set to intercept RIS files, that's where you might be able to control what else happens to the RIS files (for example, their opening in EndNote automatically without prompting).

If you uncheck the "Use Zotero" pref and restart Firefox, do the RIS files go to EndNote?
  • No, unchecking "use Zotero" and restarting Firefox doesn't make any difference. Ref goes to Zotero. (A little while ago, downloading refs had become completely paralyzed, not going into either).
  • edited June 9, 2008
    Type about:config into the Firefox address bar and type parseEndNoteMIMETypes into the Filter box. What's the value of the pref?

If it's false, there should be no way for Zotero to intercept RIS files. You may need to make sure that there isn't a hidden process of Firefox on your system. Restarting your computer (or checking in the task manager) might help.
  • edited June 9, 2008
    I see "extensions.zotero.parseEndNoteMIMETypes default boolean true
    Is this what you mean by pref? I will restart the computer and report back.
    OK, restarted. Problem persists.
  • That value needs to be false and stay false after restarting Firefox. (You can toggle it by double-clicking.) If it keeps getting reset to true, it's likely due to corruption in your Firefox profile. Right-clicking on the pref and selecting Reset, and then making sure it's false, might fix it.
  • Thank you everybody! Disability the RIS in Zotero took care of my problem and now it goes direct to ENDNOTE. Thank you!
    I use Zotero for web articles only.
    Soram
  • Thanks to Dan Stillman for that advice about true/false, though I didn't pursue this further, didn't reinstall Firefox. Today I successfully downloaded citations to Endnote from two different sources *without* changing anything. I hadn't opened up zotero, and hadn't checked/unchecked the RIS option. I have no idea why I am now able to download to Endnote. If I have trouble again, I will contact this list. Thanks.
  • I encountered problems with importing references into EndNote as well -- both from commercial databases like EBSCO (.ris files) and Google Scholar (.enw files).
    Changing the Zotero preferences (unchecking the box labeled "Use Zotero for downloaded RIS/Refer files") solved both problems. However, it is necessary to restart Firefox for the Zotero preference change to take effect (maybe this why it did not work for some people).

I am also curious about what this preference change actually does. Obviously, it affects more than just .ris files. By the way, I tested all this on both Win XP SP3 and on Mac 10.5.3 using Firefox 2.0.0.14 on both. Using a newer "load" version of Zotero 1.0.4 as suggested in another thread on download issues, however, did not solve the problem.
  • I am also curious about what this preference change actually does. Obviously, it affects more than just .ris files.
    The extension of files on the web generally doesn't matter—what counts is the "MIME type" (or "content type") of the file provided by the server. When that pref is enabled in Zotero, it intercepts files with the MIME types "application/x-endnote-refer" and "application/x-research-info-systems".

You shouldn't actually need to restart after disabling the setting, but it's worth trying that if Zotero continues to grab RIS files.
  • I having trouble with this. Zotero is intercepting my ability to import to Endnote. I am having to import as text and then copy and paste into Endnote! Please help. I don't see anything in the preferences to uncheck and I don't understand the rest of the steps. It seems very confusing. I am using firefox on a mac.
  • edited September 26, 2013
    General tab of the preferences, "Use Zotero for downloaded Bibtex/RIS/Refer files" - you want this unchecked.
    (edit: don't forget to restart Firefox afterwards)
  • I actually just found that and unchecked it and restarted firefox a few times, but still zotero was intercepting. I ended up just disabling zotero altogether and it finally stopped. I will try again in the future as I really want to switch from endnote, but I just don't have the time right now.
  • Can someone can tell me where to find "Use Zotero for downloaded Bibtex/RIS/Refer files" in Zotero standalone (I am not using MAC or firefox). I looked at each table of preferences ( under gear menu). There is nothing. Any help would be great!. Thanks
  • please don't double post. Answered here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/67/making-zotero-and-endnote-live-together-nicely/#Item_15
  • Many Thanks for your help!. I did it in the easy way. Just downloading a RIS file and changing endnote for Zotero as the default program for open them. Just for others info. Zotero standalone can intercept and be set out as default for RIS files at leat when using internet explorer.