Problem with multiple collections in advanced searches

In Advanced Search, when I match ALL, then select COLLECTION IS SavedSearch1 (some search that I previously saved) and then add (+) another COLLECTION IS SavedSearch2 (some other saved search), it churns for an unusually long time, then will often return results all from one saved search, not the overlap of both collections, or will just crash the advanced search window. This is specific to choosing multiple Saved Searches as "COLLECTION" criteria, because as far as I can tell using non-saved-search collections works fine, using only one saved search works fine, and manually entering the criteria of each of the saved search one by one also works fine. The weird results seem to be related to the order in which the collections (saved searches) are specified. But the problem does not seem to be related to the size of the results, because the it still happens when both saved searches have few results and/or the intersection of the two saved searches has few results.
-Can anyone replicate this?
I know this may sound like a very specific and isolated problem, and it may be, but it would be very useful to be able to do this accurately.
. . . by the way, I'm using Windows XP and Zotero 1.0.4-loadtest
  • Can you provide a list of all the search conditions in each of the searches?

Also, if you can get it not to crash, check Report Errors in the Actions menu, send in a report if there is one, and post the Report ID here.
  • Just figured it out! The Advanced Search problem only happens if the "Include parent and child items . . ." option is selected and the search contains 2 or more conditions that are saved-search "Collections". If it's selected, then when search is clicked it churns, the window goes to the background (it doesn't crash after all), and when you re-focus the window it has results that are just from one of the saved-search collections (the first one?). If the option is not selected, then the search is quick and it returns the correct results. Below is a portion of the error report found immediately after having the problem (Report ID = 1149531677).

[JavaScript Error: "this._getItemAtRow(row) has no properties" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js" line: 2027}]

[JavaScript Error: "obj has no properties" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js" line: 535}]

[JavaScript Error: "this._getItemAtRow(row) has no properties" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js" line: 598}]

[JavaScript Error: "this._getItemAtRow(row) has no properties" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js" line: 598}]

[JavaScript Error: "this._getItemAtRow(row) has no properties" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js" line: 2027}]

[JavaScript Error: "obj has no properties" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js" line: 554}]

[JavaScript Error: "this._getItemAtRow(row) has no properties" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js" line: 617}]

[JavaScript Error: "this._getItemAtRow(row) has no properties" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js" line: 592}]

[JavaScript Error: "this._getItemAtRow(row) has no properties" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js" line: 617}]
  • OK, thanks—I can confirm this. Ticket created. We'll likely be overhauling the search code in the coming months, so this will likely get fixed at that time.
  • Since there still seems to be an open ticket on this, I thought I'd mention that I'm getting roughly the same error report, but without doing a search.

Here's my report number: 1260702703

Background: in a desperate attempt to get 1.5 sync working, I decided I need to cut off all the links to attachments. (I'd had hanging and crashes galore, I think related to proxy links to Blackwells-synergy online materials -- see my earlier error report 142561863 having to do with the error message "not well-formed" {file: "https://login.proxy.library.uu.nl/login?url=http://www.blackwell-synergy.com.....")

Anyway, I exported my entire collection (as RDF) stripped of files or notes and then I imported it into a virgin Firefox 3 profile, running 1.5 SP2 on a Mac PowerBook PPC and OS 10.4.11. Now I get it to sync. But I do get this error report when I look for it.

Can I just ignore it, or is this likely to gum up the machinery?

Terrific work in putting this all together! I'm really excited about the project. Having subcollections for specific projects doesn't merely help me cite better; it helps me THINK better! Chapeau!
  • "this._getItemAtRow(row)" errors are general problems with rebuilding the items list, so it's probably not related to this. I've seen some of these errors as well with certain actions in 1.5, but I haven't had a chance to look into them. It should be safe to ignore them. If there are any cosmetic problems in the items list resulting from this error, switching to another collection and back should fix it. Thanks for the bug report.