adapting citation style for videogames

Hi,

I have a need to create bibliography (or, rather, ludography) of videogames, and I've been saving them as type Computer Program, making use of the Version and System fields.

The problem is that the citation style I need to output these in, MLA, ignores these fields. I thought I'd address this by making my own version of the MLA CSL, using some other style as an example, but I couldn't find a single style in the repository that does use Version and System fields. Not even the ALL style debugger.

So I'm plowing ahead on my own, but not having much luck with CSL. The first main question is, how do I get it to pick up on the Computer Program entry type? I tried referencing it as "computerProgram", since that's how it's identified in Zotero chrome, but it didn't seem to work. I could also be referencing it under the wrong structure. Here's the relevant part of what I've tried so far:

<macro name="computer-program">
<group delimiter=". ">
<text variable="version" prefix="v"/>
<text variable="system" prefix="[" suffix="]"/>
</group>
</macro>

And then later, inside of <layout>:

<if type="book">
</if>
<else-if type="chapter">
</else-if>
<else-if type="computerProgram">
<text macro="computer-program"/>
</else-if>

Any suggestions?

Alternatively, is there in fact a style that uses these fields and I missed it?

Thanks in advance.
  • I don't believe CSL has such a type. Forget about the macro and the conditional and the type and just try putting the "version" call into the main layout template.

If that doesn't work, there's a missing mapping in Zotero.
  • OK, that's something important to know -- there's a difference between what's CSL-specific and what's Zotero-specific.

I took out my macro and conditional stuff and just put the following in the bibliography layout section:

<layout>
       <text macro="author" suffix="poop"/>
       <text macro="title" prefix=" " suffix="."/>
       <text variable="system" prefix="[" suffix="]"/>
       <text variable="version" prefix=" v" suffix="."/>

But this produced no effect in the layout for a reference that definitely has data in those fields, indicating (I guess) that there's no mapping of the variables 'system' or 'version'. Right?

If so, what does that mean -- that is, how do I go about making this work?
  • Actually, looking through the variables listed here: http://dev.zotero.org/csl_syntax_summary , it appears there are quite a lot of variables that aren't mapped and fields that are therefore unreachable in a citation or bibliography entry using CSL. This is a big problem for anyone needing citations for much beyond basic books and articles.
  • zachwhalen--
    Zotero can map "version" but there is no "system" in CSL--please request a "system" variable on xbiblio discussion list and we'll go from there. Please provide an example of a videogame reference in MLA.
  • "Version" is now mapped in dev xpi.
  • Thanks erazlogo. I'm afraid I'm going to have to put off following up on this til later, though, since I need it to work today. I think I can get by for now with manual entry, or maybe some creative use of a different citation type.
  • 1.0.5 is now publicly available and includes the mapping for "Version".